Hello and welcome to the details of Indonesia minister denies letter he signed with Pete Hegseth gives air access to US military and now with the details
Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto, accompanied by Defence Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin, Commander of the Indonesian National Armed Forces General Agus Subiyanto, and Chief of Staff of the Indonesian Air Force Air Chief Marshal Tonny Harjono, perform a blessing ceremony at Halim Perdanakusuma Air Force Base in Jakarta on May 18, 2026. — AFP pic
JAKARTA, May 19 — Indonesia’s defence minister said on Tuesday that he had signed a letter of intent last month with US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth on granting US military aircraft access to Indonesian airspace, but said no commitment was made.
The letter of intent signed in Washington mentioned respecting each country’s territorial integrity, the need for a mechanism if Indonesia agreed to airspace access, and respect for local laws, Defence Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin told a parliamentary hearing.
“We made not a single commitment with the US on airspace. We uphold the constitution and our national interests,” Sjafrie said.
The issue of overflight access created controversy in Indonesia last month. The foreign ministry warned the defence ministry that the proposal to give the US military ‘blanket’ permission to fly over Indonesian territory could risk entangling Jakarta in potential South China Sea conflicts, Reuters reported.
Sjafrie said Hegseth had made the request for the overflight access last year during an Association of Southeast Asian Nations meeting. Hegseth had cited emergency reasons when he asked for the access, Sjafrie said without providing further details.
A request for comment was sent to the Pentagon. There was no immediate reply, and when the request was sent from Jakarta it was early morning Washington time and outside business hours.
After Hegseth and Sjafrie met in Washington last month, the Pentagon said the two countries had established a major defence cooperation partnership and listed a number of ways in which they would build defence ties.
Sjafrie said the partnership includes the modernisation of Indonesia’s military, but “it does not mention any military equipment”. He said the US would help train Indonesian soldiers. — Reuters
These were the details of the news Indonesia minister denies letter he signed with Pete Hegseth gives air access to US military for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.



