UK government considers bill to remove Andrew from royal succession

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details UK government considers bill to remove Andrew from royal succession in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - LONDON — The British government is considering introducing legislation to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of royal succession, a move that would prevent him from ever becoming king.

According to the BBC, Defence Minister Luke Pollard said the proposal was the “right thing to do,” regardless of the outcome of an ongoing police investigation.

Advertisements

Andrew, the brother of King Charles III, remains eighth in line to the throne despite being stripped of his titles, including “prince,” last October amid pressure over his ties to financier Jeffrey Epstein.

On Thursday evening, Andrew was released under investigation 11 hours after his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office. He has denied any wrongdoing.

Pollard said the government had been working with Buckingham Palace on plans to prevent Andrew from being “potentially a heartbeat away from the throne,” adding that the measure should proceed once the police investigation concludes.

Chief Secretary to the Treasury James Murray said the issue was “quite complicated” and that the live police investigation needed to “play out.”

Related Article

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor

Andrew Mountbatten released under investigation after arrest over misconduct

Thames Valley Police is expected to continue searching Royal Lodge, Andrew’s Windsor residence, until Monday. Several other police forces across the United Kingdom are considering whether to launch investigations.

The proposal follows calls from some lawmakers, including members of the Liberal Democrats and the Scottish National Party, to remove Andrew from the line of succession. Other lawmakers said such a move may not be necessary given the low likelihood that he would accede to the throne.

The change would require an act of Parliament, approval by both houses, and royal assent from King Charles III. It would also need support from the 14 Commonwealth countries where the monarch is head of state, including Canada, Australia, Jamaica and New Zealand.

The last change to the line of succession by act of Parliament was in 2013, when the Succession to the Crown Act ended male primogeniture and allowed those who married Catholics to remain in the line of succession.

The last removal from the line of succession by act of Parliament occurred in 1936 following the abdication of Edward VIII.

These were the details of the news UK government considers bill to remove Andrew from royal succession for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV After 2024 uprising, Bangladesh’s youth head to polls in historic leadership contest
NEXT Trump says Iran is negotiating with US as tensions escalate and warships move into region

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]