Israel hammers Gaza’s south, hostage families urge Netanyahu to seek deal

Hello and welcome to the details of Israel hammers Gaza’s south, hostage families urge Netanyahu to seek deal and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - PALESTINIAN TERRITORIES, Jan 22 — The Israeli army bombarded Khan Yunis, the new epicentre of the war in Gaza, today as the families of hostages held by Hamas urged Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to reach a deal to secure their release.

Witnesses reported deadly strikes overnight in Khan Yunis, the largest city in southern Gaza, and fierce fighting between Israeli soldiers and Hamas militants.

Netanyahu has vowed “complete victory” over Hamas after attacks by the Islamist movement’s fighters on October 7 that resulted in the deaths of about 1,140 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.

Hamas militants also seized about 250 hostages and Israel says around 132 remain in besieged Gaza.

Advertisement

The war has spurred fears of a wider escalation, and sirens were heard again overnight in northern Israel near the border with Lebanon, according to the Israeli military.

There have been almost daily exchanges of fire between Israeli forces and the Iran-backed Hezbollah movement in Lebanon, and several areas of southern Lebanon were hit overnight.

One such Israeli strike killed a Lebanese Hezbollah fighter, according to a source in the Hamas-aligned group.

Advertisement

Violence has also surged in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

Houthi rebels in Yemen have also attacked what they deem to be Israeli-linked shipping in the vital Red Sea shipping lanes, prompting retaliatory US and UK strikes, while attacks in Syria and Iraq have mostly been claimed by Iran-linked militants opposing US support for Israel.

‘Necessary step’

Hamas said in its first public report on the events that triggered the war there had been “some faults” on its part but also called for an end to “Israeli aggression” in Gaza.

The October 7 attacks were a “necessary step” against Israeli occupation of Palestinian territories and a way to secure the release of Palestinian prisoners, it said in its 16-page report.

Israel vowed to “annihilate” Hamas after the attacks and launched a relentless offensive that has killed at least 25,105 people in Gaza, mostly women and children, according to the Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza.

The Israeli campaign has killed “around 20 per cent to 30 per cent” of Hamas fighters and is still far from its goal of destroying the Islamist movement, according to estimates by US intelligence agencies, the Wall Street Journal reported yesterday.

It said the United States, Qatar and Egypt, the countries that mediated a truce in November, were trying to convince Israel and Hamas to approve a plan that would free all the hostages in exchange for an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza.

Netanyahu has maintained that Israel must retain security control after the war and has rejected the possibility of “Palestinian sovereignty”.

Major ally the United States and others have recommended that a so-called two-state solution was the only way to guarantee Israel’s long-term security.

‘Bring hostages back’

Netanyahu is also under intense pressure to secure the return of the hostages and account for security failings surrounding the October 7 attacks.

Relatives and supporters of the hostages again rallied near Netanyahu’s Jerusalem residence in Jerusalem last night for their return.

“We are asking our government to listen, to sit down at the negotiating table and decide whether to accept this agreement or any other that would suit Israel,” said Gilad Korenbloom, whose son is a hostage in Gaza.

John Polin, also the father of a hostage, said Israelis serve their country and in return “we expect the government to ensure our safety”.

“We are asking the government to play its part, to propose an agreement, to bring it to a successful conclusion and to bring the remaining hostages back alive,” Polin said.

Netanyahu said in a video statement released after the Hamas report that, in exchange for the release of Israeli hostages, Hamas was demanding an end to the war, the withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza, the release of Palestinian prisoners and guarantees that Hamas would stay in power.

“If we accept this, our soldiers have fallen in vain,” and security would not be guaranteed, he said.

French Defence Minister Sebastien Lecornu was to meet families of Hamas hostages today, before holding talks with Netanyahu and his Israeli counterpart Yoav Gallant.

Humanitarian crisis

UN agencies have warned of famine and disease as Gazans, 1.7 million of whom are displaced, struggle with shortages of water, medical care and other essentials during daily bombardment.

Yesterday, 260 humanitarian aid trucks were transferred to Gaza, according to COGAT, the Israeli defence ministry body responsible for Palestinian civilian affairs, well below pre-war levels.

Hamas’ Qatar-based chief Ismail Haniyeh had met Turkey’s foreign minister to discuss the conflict and humanitarian aid, diplomatic sources said yesterday.

Abdelrahmane Iyad, wounded in Gaza and now being treated aboard the French helicopter carrier Dixmude, docked in Egypt, said he did not have time to leave his house before it was hit.

“When they bombed the house, I was thrown into the air and hit the wall of our neighbours’ house. My leg was trapped under the broken ceiling, and a stone hit the front and back of my head. I lost consciousness,” he said.

“I was with my parents, my brother, my sister, my second sister and her husband and their daughter. They all died. I’m the only survivor.” — AFP

These were the details of the news Israel hammers Gaza’s south, hostage families urge Netanyahu to seek deal for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT FBI director warns that Chinese hackers are preparing to ‘wreak havoc’ on US critical infrastructure

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]