We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Trump seeks to halt gag order in election meddling case in the following article
Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - WASHINGTON — An appeals court is weighing a bid by Donald Trump to halt the limited gag order he faces in his federal trial on election subversion charges.
The order keeps Trump from speaking out against court personnel, potential witnesses or the special counsel's office. It is currently on hold.
Lawyers for the former president and current Republican frontrunner called for the order to be revoked.
But a three-judge panel appeared sceptical over lifting the restriction.
The trio of Democratic appointees grilled both sides over the most appropriate way to balance free speech considerations with the integrity and safety of those involved in a criminal trial that begins next March.
After an initial hearing that was scheduled for 40 minutes but lasted more than two hours, the judges did not issue an immediate ruling.
Attorneys for Trump had challenged what they called an effort to censor his speech in the midst of a hotly contested presidential campaign.
But prosecutors with the US justice department argued he has a "well-established practice of using his public platform to target his adversaries".
Trump's criticism of those involved in the federal case over the 2020 election had occurred most recently this weekend, they noted.
At a Saturday campaign rally in Iowa, Trump called Special Counsel Jack Smith, the key prosecutor involved in the case, "deranged" and a "Trump-hating prosecutor".
He also said that Smith's "wife and family despise me much more than he does", at "about a 15 on a scale of 10".
They were the types of remarks that Judge Tanya Chutkan, who is overseeing the election subversion case, has sought to limit since she issued a "narrowly tailored" gag order last month.
Her intention, she said, was to prevent "a pre-trial smear campaign".
"The order is unprecedented and it sets a terrible precedent for future restrictions on core political speech," John Sauer, Trump's attorney, told the Washington DC appeals court on Monday.
Sauer claimed there was no evidence that anybody involved in the case was facing an "imminent, pending threat" because of Trump.
But the three judges on the panel tasked with reviewing the order pressed Sauer on where the line should be drawn for the former president.
"We're not shutting down everyone who speaks," said Judge Patricia Millett. "This is only affecting the speech temporarily during a criminal trial process by someone who has been indicted as a felon."
Trump has a pattern of making "political speech aimed at derailing or corrupting the criminal justice process", she added, pointing to a Texas woman's recent death threats toward Judge Chutkan.
"The day after he said, 'If you come after me, I'm coming after you,' that threat was issued," Judge Millett said.
They did suggest they may narrow Judge Chutkan's order in some ways, however.
"It can't be that he can't mention Smith," Judge Cornelia Pillard told prosecutors at one point. The special counsel's name is "part of the public record", she said, and "surely he has a thick enough skin".
Trump faces three counts of conspiring to interfere with the vote count of the 2020 presidential race and one count of obstructing an official proceeding. The former president has accused President Joe Biden and his administration of weaponising the US legal system against him.
In total, Trump faces 91 felony charges across four criminal cases. He was already under a gag order in his ongoing civil fraud trial in New York.
He attacked presiding judge Arthur Engoron's principal law clerk on his Truth Social platform in that case, and has since been fined twice over violations.
That gag order's status is unclear, however, as it was temporarily lifted by a state appeals court on Thursday. — BBC
These were the details of the news Trump seeks to halt gag order in election meddling case for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.