France reports food poison death after sardine dinner

France reports food poison death after sardine dinner
France reports food poison death after sardine dinner

Hello and welcome to the details of France reports food poison death after sardine dinner and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Bordeaux is famous for its wine and food. — AFP pic

BORDEAUX, Sept 13 — A woman died in France from botulism after eating sardines at a restaurant last week and 12 other people were in treatment for the rare condition, health officials said Wednesday.

Botulism is a serious neurological illness typically brought on by eating food that has been improperly preserved.

The restaurant in Bordeaux, southwestern France, had preserved the sardines itself, the DGS health authority said late yesterday.

The nationality of the dead woman, aged 32, has not yet been determined, a source close to the case said.

A doctor at the Pellegrin hospital in Bordeaux, Benjamin Clouzeau, said 12 more people were still receiving emergency treatment early today. Five of them were on respiratory support.

The group included American, Irish and Canadian nationals, he said.

A German national travelled home for treatment, as did a resident of Barcelona, Spain, the doctor said.

All of them had eaten at the restaurant, the "Tchin Tchin Wine Bar" in Bordeaux, between September 4 and 10 when there are typically large numbers of tourists in the town, famous for its wine and food.

They all ate sardines that had been stored by the restaurant owner himself in jars, the DGS said.

Botulism is deadly in five to 10 per cent of cases because of a toxin generated by clostridium botulinum bacteria that can appear when preserved food is insufficiently sterilised.

Authorities were still running tests at the restaurant, the DGS said, adding it could not rule out the emergence of further cases of botulism which has an incubation period of up to several days.

It can cause muscle paralysis lasting several weeks, with the most immediate danger stemming from affected respiratory muscles.

Local newspaper Sud-Ouest quoted the restaurant owner as saying that he had thrown out some of the jars containing sardines because of a "strong smell" emanating from the containers when he opened them.

But others "appeared in good condition and were served up to customers", he said. — AFP

These were the details of the news France reports food poison death after sardine dinner for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT India likely to see above normal maximum temperatures in May, weather office says

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]