UN warns of disease risk after Papua New Guinea landslide

Hello and welcome to the details of UN warns of disease risk after Papua New Guinea landslide and now with the details

UN warns of disease risk after Papua New Guinea landslide

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Survivors of a deadly Papua New Guinea landslide face a ‘significant risk of disease outbreak’ and are yet to receive sufficient food and clean water supplies, a United Nations agency said today. — AFP pic/Nickson Pakea, president of Porgera Chamber of Commerce and Industry

PORT MORESBY, May 30 — Survivors of a deadly Papua New Guinea landslide face a “significant risk of disease outbreak” and are yet to receive sufficient food and clean water supplies, a United Nations agency saidtoday.

Six days after a mountainside community was buried in a sea of soil, boulders and debris, the United Nations’ migration agency said water sources had become tainted and the risk of disease was soaring.

Much of the area’s water flows through the landslide site — now a 600 metre-long graveyard.

“The creeks now flowing from the debris are contaminated, posing a significant risk of disease outbreak” the UN’s migration agency told partners in a rapid assessment report.

Advertisement

“There are no methods being used to treat the water to make it safe for drinking,” it said, warning of diarrhoea and malaria.

For much of the past week, residents of Yambeli and Lapak wards have been digging through countless tonnes of earth in the search for buried relatives.

Eyewitnesses reported the stench of dead bodies had become overwhelming.

Advertisement

Local officials said between six and 11 bodies had been recovered.

Getting clean water, purification tablets and “lifesaving food supplies” to the site were listed as top priorities by the UN’s International Organization for Migration (IOM).

The landslide also severed the main road to and from the community and the link has yet to be cleared.

The confirmed death toll is expected to rise significantly once heavy machinery arrives and works though the disaster zone which measures 90,000 square metres (968,751 square feet).

Enga provincial administrator Sandis Tsaka said it has not been possible to get such machinery, engineers or technical offers to the site yet “because of the risk of unstable land movement”.

‘Heads above water’

Aid agencies and foreign donors are also concerned that unreliable estimates about the number of dead, injured and displaced are complicating the international response.

“The absence of accurate and timely information on the affected areas and population hinders effective planning and delivery of humanitarian assistance,” the IOM warned.

Papua New Guinea’s Prime Minister James Marape has estimated the number of dead at 2,000, which would make this one of the deadliest landslides in recent memory.

But satellite imagery experts, disaster relief professionals, local officials and diplomats have all told AFP that number is likely vastly inflated.

“For a landslide of this size, this is the sort of loss of life you’d see in a city,” Landslide expert and University of Hull vice-chancellor David Petley told AFP.

“The pre-failure images just don’t support the idea that there was that concentration of people,” he said.

Tsaka, the Enga provincial administrator, told AFP on Thursday that the number of dead was probably in the “hundreds” rather than thousands.

He said traumatised survivors have been unable to provide reliable information on loved ones who are still missing.

“Response teams are starting to gather information — who was there and the number of people impacted,” said Tsaka, who hoped to have initial figures confirmed late Friday.

With some key teams still struggling to reach the disaster zone, he said Papua New Guinea’s response workers were “keeping our heads above water”. — AFP

These were the details of the news UN warns of disease risk after Papua New Guinea landslide for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Canada’s infamous serial killer Robert Pickton dies after prison attack

Author Information

I am Jeff King and I’m passionate about business and finance news with over 4 years in the industry starting as a writer working my way up into senior positions. I am the driving force behind Al-KhaleejToday.NET with a vision to broaden the company’s readership throughout 2016. I am an editor and reporter of “Financial” category. Address: 383 576 Gladwell Street Longview, TX 75604, USA Phone: (+1) 903-247-0907 Email: [email protected]