Netanyahu: Hamas fighters comprise almost half Gaza’s death toll

Netanyahu: Hamas fighters comprise almost half Gaza’s death toll
Netanyahu: Hamas fighters comprise almost half Gaza’s death toll

Hello and welcome to the details of Netanyahu: Hamas fighters comprise almost half Gaza’s death toll and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Israel’s prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu claimed that almost half of those killed in the Gaza war are Hamas fighters, playing down a civilian toll that has sparked global outrage. — AFP pic

JERUSALEM, May 14 — Israel’s prime minister said on a podcast that almost half of those killed in the Gaza war are Hamas fighters, playing down a civilian toll that has sparked global outrage.

Benjamin Netanyahu maintained the overall toll is lower than that given by authorities in the Palestinian territory.

According to the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza, at least 35,091 people have been killed in the territory during more than seven months of war between Israel and Palestinian militants.

But Netanyahu suggested in an interview on the “Call Me Back” podcast conducted on Sunday that the death toll in Gaza was actually around 30,000 and that Hamas fighters accounted for nearly half of that toll.

Advertisement

Gazan authorities do not provide an overview of the number of Palestinian militants killed, but have repeatedly said that a large majority of those killed in the war have been women and children.

The United Nations and a long line of countries have voiced alarm at the number of civilian deaths.

United Nations rights chief Volker Turk warned in a statement last month that children especially are “disproportionately paying the ultimate price in this war”.

Advertisement

But Netanyahu insisted to podcaster Dan Senor that Israel had “been able to keep the ratio of civilians to combatants killed... (to) a ratio of about one to one”.

“Fourteen thousand have been killed, combatants, and probably around 16,000 civilians have been killed,” he said.

He gave similar figures in March during an interview with Politico, at a time when Gaza’s health ministry was reporting a toll of at least 31,045.

Netanyahu said at the time that the figure included 13,000 militants and the number of civilians was “far less than” 20,000.

His latest comment comes at a time of intensified pressure from Israel’s chief military supplier, the United States, over the Palestinian toll from the war.

Washington paused delivery of 3,500 bombs, and US President Joe Biden warned he would stop supplying artillery shells and other weapons if Israel carries out a full-scale invasion of Rafah, where around one million people are sheltering.

A US State Department report on Friday said it was “reasonable to assess” that Israel has used American arms in ways inconsistent with standards on humanitarian rights but that the United States could not reach “conclusive findings”.

The bloodiest ever Gaza war broke out after Hamas’s October 7 attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of more than 1,170 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli official figures.

Gunmen also seized around 250 hostages, scores of whom were freed during a week-long truce in November. Israel estimates 128 captives remain in Gaza, including 36 the military says are dead. — AFP

These were the details of the news Netanyahu: Hamas fighters comprise almost half Gaza’s death toll for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Nikki Haley writes ‘finish them’ on Israeli shell: lawmaker
NEXT Authorities: One mayoral candidate killed, one wounded in Mexico ahead of elections

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]