South Africa building collapse death toll rises to 20

South Africa building collapse death toll rises to 20
South Africa building collapse death toll rises to 20

Hello and welcome to the details of South Africa building collapse death toll rises to 20 and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - The death toll from a building collapse in South Africa climbed to 20, municipal authorities said yesterday, with 32 people still unaccounted for nearly a week after the structure came crashing down. — AFP pic

JOHANNESBURG, May 13 — The death toll from a building collapse in South Africa climbed to 20, municipal authorities said yesterday, with 32 people still unaccounted for nearly a week after the structure came crashing down.

Rescue teams have been working tirelessly since an apartment block under construction in the southern city of George crumbled last Monday afternoon while a crew of 81 were on site.

Twenty-nine people have been rescued alive so far.

On Saturday an unexpected survivor emerged after 116 hours from underneath the rubble of the collapsed building, municipal authorities said.

Advertisement

Provincial authorities described it as a “miracle” as they rushed against time with rescue efforts.

“The question of rescuing... and recovery is still mixed, people feel that they still need to go very slowly especially with what happened yesterday,” Police Minister Bheki Cele told state broadcaster SABC during his visit to the site.

Family members housed in a nearby city hall since Monday expressed their frustration to the police minister at the pace of the identification process.

Advertisement

Premier Alan Winde of the Western Cape province had previously said the process had been “difficult”.

Police were using fingerprints, DNA testing and photographs.

Previously authorities declined to comment on speculation about whether most of the crew were foreign nationals.

However the government said it would contact the diplomatic missions of Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Malawi regarding the incident and have issued a call for a “psychosocial support practitioner proficient in Chewa, Portuguese, and Shona languages to assist survivors and their families”.

Construction plans for a 42-unit apartment block had been approved by the city in July.

The reasons for the collapse are still unknown. — AFP

These were the details of the news South Africa building collapse death toll rises to 20 for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Egypt says to support South Africa ICJ case against Israel
NEXT Top French university loses funding over pro-Palestinian protests

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]