Beijing half marathon: Top three stripped of medals after investigation

Beijing half marathon: Top three stripped of medals after investigation
Beijing half marathon: Top three stripped of medals after investigation

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Beijing half marathon: Top three stripped of medals after investigation in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - BEIJING — The top three finishers of the Beijing half marathon have been stripped of their medals following an investigation into the controversial result.

It was alleged that the three African athletes deliberately allowed China's star runner He Jie to win Sunday's race

Footage appeared, external to show Kenya's Robert Keter and Willy Mnangat and Ethiopia's Dejene Hailu pointing to the line and slowing down to wave He past.

Mnangat told the BBC that the trio ran as pacemakers.

But the race's organising committee, who led the investigation, said that none of the three had been officially registered as pacemakers for He, so their actions breached the competition rules.

The committee said "all trophies, medals and bonuses will be recovered".

China's state broadcaster CCTV also reported that all four had been "punished" and their results had been cancelled.

After the race, the Chinese Athletics Association said it would seek to improve the organisation of road running events in the country.

"In general, the overall operation of road running events has been smooth," it said in a statement.

"But problems in the organisation and management of the events have also been exposed, which has aroused widespread concern."

China's He won marathon gold at the 2023 Asian Games in Hangzhou and is his country's record holder for the full marathon. — BBC


These were the details of the news Beijing half marathon: Top three stripped of medals after investigation for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Top French university loses funding over pro-Palestinian protests

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]