Canada clocks fastest population growth in 66 years in 2023

Canada clocks fastest population growth in 66 years in 2023
Canada clocks fastest population growth in 66 years in 2023

Hello and welcome to the details of Canada clocks fastest population growth in 66 years in 2023 and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Canada has heavily relied on immigration to boost its labour force and economic growth, with almost a quarter of its population being non-native born Canadian residents in 2021, according to IMF’s 2021 report.  — Reuters pic

OTTAWA, March 27 — Canada’s population touched a record high of 40.77 million in 2023, largely driven by temporary immigration, Statistics Canada said today.

The country added 1.27 million people in 2023, up 3.2 per cent from the previous year - marking the highest growth since 1957.

Why it’s important

The influx of immigrants has been blamed for a housing shortage that has pushed up house prices and sent affordability to new lows, hurting Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s approval ratings.

Advertisement

The population growth has also pulled down the country’s gross domestic product per capita figures as seen in the last quarter as well as productivity levels, economists and the Bank of Canada have said.

Key quotes

“In 2023, the vast majority (97.6 per cent) of Canada’s population growth came from international migration (both permanent and temporary immigration) and the remaining portion (2.4 per cent) came from natural increase,” Statscan said in a statement.

Advertisement

“This was the second straight year that temporary immigration drove population growth and the third year in a row with a net increase of NPRs (non-permanent residents),” it said.

Context

Canada has heavily relied on immigration to boost its labour force and economic growth, with almost a quarter of its population being non-native born Canadian residents in 2021, according to IMF’s 2021 report.

That is the highest level among the G7 nations. But in the last few months Trudeau’s Liberal government has tried to counter pressure through measures to cap the number of international students and non-permanent residents that can come into Canada each year.

By the numbers

It is estimated that 2,661,784 non-permanent residents were living in Canada on January 1, 2024, Statscan data showed. Among them, 2,332,886 were permit holders and their family members living with them, and 328,898 were asylum claimants with or without work or study permits. — Reuters

These were the details of the news Canada clocks fastest population growth in 66 years in 2023 for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Barrage of Russian attacks aims to cut Ukraine's lights

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]