Hamas gives ‘initial’ support to Gaza truce plan as fighting rages

Hamas gives ‘initial’ support to Gaza truce plan as fighting rages
Hamas gives ‘initial’ support to Gaza truce plan as fighting rages

Hello and welcome to the details of Hamas gives ‘initial’ support to Gaza truce plan as fighting rages and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - People walk through the gate of the Maghazi camp for Palestinian refugees, which was severely damaged by Israeli bombardment amid the ongoing conflict in the Gaza Strip between Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas, in the central Gaza Strip on February 1, 2024. — AFP pic

PALESTINIAN TERRITORIES, Feb 2 — Fighting in Gaza raged today with scores reported killed overnight, after mediator Qatar said Hamas had given its “initial” support to a hostage-prisoner exchange deal that would pause its war with Israel.

The health ministry in the Hamas-run territory said 105 people were killed overnight, while the Hamas press office reported Israeli air and artillery bombardment around Khan Yunis — southern Gaza’s main city and the focus of recent fighting.

Gaza City resident Abir al-Madhun said leaflets calling on civilians to leave had again been dropped by Israeli aircraft over the Al-Shifa Hospital compound where she has sought refuge.

“Our houses were destroyed; our children were killed. Where should we go?” she asked. “The shooting must stop so we can find a place to live.”

Advertisement

Nearly four months of fighting have left Gaza “uninhabitable”, the United Nations says, while an Israeli siege has resulted in dire shortages of food, water, fuel and medicines.

The humanitarian crisis and the mounting civilian death toll have triggered growing international calls for a ceasefire.

After a truce proposal agreed with Israeli negotiators was presented to Hamas on Thursday, Qatar’s foreign ministry spokesman Majed al-Ansari said there were hopes of “good news” about a fresh pause to the fighting “in the next couple of weeks”.

Advertisement

Ansari said a truce plan thrashed out with Israeli negotiators by Egyptian, Qatari and US mediators in Paris earlier this week had received a “positive” initial response from Hamas.

“That proposal has been approved by the Israeli side and now we have an initial positive confirmation from the Hamas side,” he said.

But a source close to Hamas told AFP: “There is no agreement on the framework of the agreement yet — the factions have important observations — and the Qatari statement is rushed and not true.”

A Hamas source said the group had been presented with a three-stage plan which would start with an initial six-week halt to the fighting that would see more aid deliveries into Gaza.

The pause would also see the release of “women, children and sick men over 60” among the Israeli hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners in Israel, the source said, requesting anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks.

There would also be “negotiations around the withdrawal of Israeli forces”, with possible additional phases involving more prisoner exchanges.

A deal ‘right now’

The war in Gaza was triggered by Hamas’s October 7 attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of around 1,160 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.

Militants also seized about 250 hostages, and Israel says 132 remain in Gaza, including at least 27 believed to have been killed.

After the attack, Israel launched a withering offensive that has killed at least 27,019 people in Gaza, mostly women and children, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory.

Visiting Khan Yunis on Thursday, Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant told troops that the city’s Hamas brigade had been “dismantled” and the “same will happen in Rafah”, the border town where hundreds of thousands of displaced civilians have sought refuge.

Gallant reiterated the government’s position that only military force can secure the release of Israeli hostages, telling troops their operations “bring us closer to enabling the return of the hostages, because Hamas only responds to pressure”.

The government’s tough line has faced mounting opposition inside Israel, with protesters gathering again in Tel Aviv on Thursday night carrying placards featuring hostages’ faces and slogans such as “No more bloodshed”.

“This government, our leadership, needs to make decisions and they need to be brave,” said activist Moran Zer Katzenstein.

“We need them to bring the hostages back, right now. The only way is through a deal.”

Settler sanctions

Violence has also flared in the occupied West Bank, where more than 370 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli troops and settlers since October 7.

The United States on Thursday imposed sanctions on four Israeli settlers over the violence, in a rare US move against Israelis. Any assets they hold in the United States will be blocked, with Americans forbidden from financial transactions with them.

“The situation in the West Bank — in particular high levels of extremist settler violence, forced displacement of people and villages, and property destruction — has reached intolerable levels,” President Joe Biden said in an executive order laying the groundwork for US actions.

Hamas’s war with Israel has sparked a surge in attacks by other Iran-backed groups around the region, primarily targeting Israel’s Western allies.

In Syria, three pro-Iran fighters were killed on Friday in Israeli strikes south of Damascus, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor said.

The Israeli military declined to comment on the reported strikes, the second in Syria this week.

Since November, Yemen’s Houthi rebels have carried out a spate of attacks on merchant vessels in the Red Sea route that has caused major disruption to the key international trade route and triggered reprisal attacks by Britain and the United States.

US forces destroyed 10 Houthi drones and a ground control station Thursday and later destroyed a rebel naval drone that threatened shipping, the US military said.

The US military’s Central Command said the rebels had also launched two anti-ship missiles that missed their target.

Iraq’s Iran-backed Al-Nujaba movement, one of several behind a spate of attacks on US troops in recent months, vowed today to keep up its campaign, despite Washington’s threat to hit back after three of its soldiers were killed in Jordan.

“Any (US) strike will result in an appropriate response,” Al-Nujaba leader Akram al-Kaabi said in a statement. — AFP

These were the details of the news Hamas gives ‘initial’ support to Gaza truce plan as fighting rages for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Von der Leyen pushes for coordinated EU defense spending
NEXT Indian president visits Great Nicobar island as fears grow for tribe

Author Information

I am Jeff King and I’m passionate about business and finance news with over 4 years in the industry starting as a writer working my way up into senior positions. I am the driving force behind Al-KhaleejToday.NET with a vision to broaden the company’s readership throughout 2016. I am an editor and reporter of “Financial” category. Address: 383 576 Gladwell Street Longview, TX 75604, USA Phone: (+1) 903-247-0907 Email: [email protected]