Cyclone destroys houses, cuts power on Australia’s west coast

Hello and welcome to the details of Cyclone destroys houses, cuts power on Australia’s west coast and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - SYDNEY, April 12 — A tropical cyclone off Australia’s west coast destroyed several homes and cut electricity to tens of thousands of people overnight before weakening in power this morning.

Officials said around 70 per cent of the structures in the coastal town of Kalbarri, about 500 kilometres north of state capital Perth, had sustained damage when the category three storm made landfall late yesterday.

Around 30 per cent of that damage was “significant”, WA Emergency Services Commissioner Darren Klemm told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

“The situation in Western Australia remains very serious,” Prime Minister Scott Morrison posted on his official page, adding the federal government’s disaster response plan had been activated.

Tropical cyclone Seroja was downgraded after making landfall to a category two system and was forecast to continue to weaken throughout the day, although officials warned it would still bring potentially damaging wind gusts and heavy rain.

Photos on social media and local broadcasts showed downed powerlines, debris and houses stripped of roofs and walls. Western Australia state authorities opened three evacuation centres for displaced residents.

The region was on high alert for the storm, given that houses and other buildings were not constructed to withstand tropical cyclones, which usually do not push so far south.

“This is a rare weather event for people in southern and eastern parts of WA,” the Bureau of Meteorology said. — Reuters

These were the details of the news Cyclone destroys houses, cuts power on Australia’s west coast for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Italy scraps Covid-19 quarantine for EU, Britain and Israel
NEXT India's lauds Gulf assistance in fighting COVID-19