Standard also lost its 2nd Europa League game. After the 0-2 against Rangers, Benfica took 3 goals after the break tonight. The ball hit the dot twice. For the first time in months, the public was allowed to come to the stadium in Portugal: 5,000 fans saw Jan Vertonghen and co win a smooth 7th time in a row. Standard is now on 3 consecutive defeats.
Benfica – Standard in a nutshell:
- Key moment: On the hour, Standard suddenly comes close to 1-1 on a corner. Vlachodimos keeps Vanheusden from the equalizer and a few minutes later the ball does go in on the other side. A second penalty hit for Benfica definitely counts out the visitors.
- Man of the match: Just like last week against Lech Poznan, Pizzi took his penalty goal and tonight he added another lucky goal. It may not deserve a beauty prize, but with his 2 hits, he was decisive for Benfica’s big victory.
- Remarkable: The Estadio da Luz remains an impregnable fortress in the Europa League. Of the 23 matches that Benfica played there, it won 19 and drew 4 times. It remains to be seen for the first team that can beat Benfica at home in the Europa League.
View the report:
Benfica can hardly translate predominance into opportunities
Benfica was in top form with 15 out of 15 in his own country and showed that from the kick-off. The study round was skipped and the Portuguese top club immediately grabbed Standard by the throat. The visitors declined under the fast pace and did not cross the center line.
In the end, Benfica’s blitz start did not yield many targets. Bodart had to be able to show on the fifteen minutes on a dangerous long shot from Everton. Not much later, Benfica really came close to 1-0. Tavares quickly put Fai and Vanheusden into the wind, but Nunez was just unable to reach his tight cross.
Only shortly before half-time did the home team sniff the opening goal again. Bodart boxed a cross into Pizzi’s feet. From the half moon, he came out with a volley, but his shot went over the empty goal.
Penalties help Benfica to win big
Despite the predominance, the chances were limited for Benfica, but shortly after the break the home team took the lead. Bokadi tapped Waldschmidt in the box and the ball hit the spot. Pizzi did not fail and thus gave Benfica a perfect start to the second half.
On the hour Standard suddenly came close to 1-1. A corner landed at the far post at Vanheusden, but his shot was countered by Vlachodimos. Moments later, the ball again hit the spot for Benfica, this time after a light contact between Fai and Tavares. Waldschmidt shot the 2-0 high in goal.
Fifteen minutes before the end Standard was allowed to close the books for good. Pizzi decided the match with his second of the evening. With luck, because his shot deviated from Bokadi and left Bodart without a chance.
In the final phase, Standard had also earned a penalty after a clear foul by Gonçalves on Gavory, but referee Letexier put the ball just outside the box. It wouldn’t have mattered much, because Benfica was clearly a size too big.
View the goals here:
Vertonghen: “Warned them that Standard was a good team after all”
Montanier: “The 2 penalties are 2 fouls by the referee”
Amallah: “Those 2 penalties took us out of the match”
Vertonghen: “We can make a goal of the Europa League”
No goal against and a smooth win, no reason to complain for Jan Vertonghen. “We started the game very professionally and aggressively. I had warned them in advance that Standard was just a good team and that we had to take this game seriously. We did that too,” said the Red Devil.
“It was a very good first half, with many chances but no goal. In the second half there was more room after that early penalty. Standard got a bit tired. We got sloppier, but in the end it was a good game for us. . “
After 11 years as a regular customer in the Champions League, Benfica could not qualify for the champions ball this season, especially now that Vertonghen has settled in Lisbon. In the third qualifying round PAOK Saloniki proved too strong.
“That was also a match in which I could charge myself something. It took a while to process that. Fortunately, the games followed quickly. Since then we have also won everything. We can now make the Europa League a goal. We have a very strong team and are an outsider, even if there are still teams coming from the Champions League. “
“Benfica did not need the arbitrator’s help”
- Philippe Montanier (Standard coach): “It was a difficult match. Benfica is a team that belongs in the Champions League. But it was also very frustrating. The 2 penalties for Benfica were 2 errors by the referee and we were again deprived of a penalty. I dispute the preponderance and Benfica’s victory did not, but with their qualities they did not need any help from the referee. That is frustrating for the players, but they kept fighting until the end. The quality of Benfica combined with the referee’s mistakes made it an impossible task for us. We now have to recover well, because a new match is already waiting on Sunday. Hopefully we can also recuperate some of the 7 absent players. Their unavailability is at a particularly bad time. “
- Selim Amallah (Standard): “We knew this was going to be a tough away game. We hit a very strong Benfica. We especially wanted to defend well and we did that in the first half. Unfortunately, we then faced 2 light penalties. They took us out of the game. Benfica pushed us back by putting a lot of pressure and it was difficult to get out on the counter. The game against Lech Poznan will also be difficult, but we just have to play our game. “
- 90+2′second half, minute 92. End. 0 out of 6 for Standard in the group stage of the Europa League. After the Rangers, Benfica also turned out to be too strong for the people from Liège. It became 3-0 in Estadio da Luz. .
0 out of 6 for Standard in the group stage of the Europa League. After the Rangers, Benfica turned out to be too strong for the people from Liège. It became 3-0 in Estadio da Luz.
- 90′second half, 90 minute. Extra 3 minutes. The game is over, but Standard has to endure it for a few more minutes. .
3 more minutes
The game is over, but Standard has to endure it for a few more minutes.
- 88′second half, minute 88. No luck for Standard: ref sees no penalty kick and gives free kick.
No luck for Standard: ref sees no penalty kick and gives free kick
- 86′second half, minute 86. No penalty for Standard. Gavory is brought down by Gonçalves. Just outside the box, referee Letexier judges. Questionable decision, here the ball could also have hit the spot. Standard has to do it with a free kick diagonally in front of goal, Boljevic curls it wide in one time. .
No penalty for Standard
Gavory is brought down by Gonçalves. Just outside the box, referee Letexier gives the verdict. Questionable decision, here the ball could also have hit the spot. Standard has to do it with a free kick diagonally in front of goal, Boljevic curls it wide in one time.
- 85′second half, minute 85.
- 84′second half, minute 84. Is there another honor saver in it for Standard? Avenatti is sent well deep, but Gonçalves still manages to get the ball from him. In addition, the Standard striker was offside. .
Is there another savior in it for Standard? Avenatti is sent well deep, but Gonçalves still manages to steal the ball from him. In addition, the Standard striker was offside.
- 82′second half, minute 82. Replacement at Standard, Felipe Avenatti in, Selim Amallah out
- 80′second half, minute 80. Avenatti is only just on the field when he already takes a goal attempt. His header is not really dangerous, however, Vlachodimos sees the ball go wide. .
Avenatti is only just on the field when he already takes a goal attempt. However, his header is not really dangerous, Vlachodimos sees the ball go wide.
- 80′second half, minute 80. Replacement at Benfica, Gonçalo Ramos in, Pizzi out
- 79′second half, minute 79. Replacement of applause for Pizzi. His place is taken by Gonçalo Ramos. .
Replacement of applause for Pizzi. His place is taken by Gonçalo Ramos.
These were the details of the news Jan Vertonghen and maats are clearly in charge of Standard with... for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at news1.news and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.