Houthis plan to turn Bab El-Mandeb into 'Red Sea’s Strait of Hormuz', Yemeni minister warns

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Houthis plan to turn Bab El-Mandeb into 'Red Sea’s Strait of Hormuz', Yemeni minister warns in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - DUBAI —A Yemeni minister has said the Houthi rebels are plotting to seize land along the Bab El-Mandeb Strait, which would allow them to further threaten the vital shipping artery.

Advertisements

“The Houthi militia... is working to create the conditions for seizing control of the Bab El-Mandeb Strait by expanding its presence along the western coast and attempting to control strategic Yemeni islands in the Red Sea,” Yemen’s information minister Moammar Al-Eryani told AFP late Tuesday.

He said there had been a military build-up by the Houthis and that their plans were illustrated by “repeated targeting of ports, docks, civilian infrastructure, ships, and government naval capabilities.”

Three Houthi military sources and a spokesman for the Yemeni government forces battling them near the waterway also told AFP the rebels are planning to advance south from their current territory.

Such an assault, if successful, could cement Houthi control over one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes, which the Iran-backed rebels have disrupted with attacks on passing vessels since the Gaza war broke out in 2023.

It would also extend the hold of Tehran and its allies to a second vital waterway in the Middle East, after Iran closed the Strait of Hormuz in its war with the United States.

The Houthis currently do not control coastal areas directly on the strait, but they hold the key port city of Hodeida to the north and have repeatedly attacked ships in the Red Sea.

With Iran’s closure of Hormuz, Bab El-Mandeb has gained increased importance as a transit route for Saudi oil. The narrow waterway connects the Red Sea — and, via the Suez Canal, the Mediterranean — to the Indian Ocean.

In recent weeks, the rebels have launched their deadliest attacks in years on Yemeni government forces.

They have also begun targeting Yemen’s port city of Mokha, which lies close to Bab El-Mandeb, as well as military sites near the strait and government-controlled islands in the Red Sea.

Maj. Gen. Sadeq Duwaid, a spokesman for the government-affiliated National Resistance Forces that control areas bordering the strait, said the rebels “are striving to secure a foothold in Bab El-Mandeb.”

“Through their continued attacks on Mokha and its port, the Houthi militia seeks to establish a presence along the shores of the Bab El-Mandeb Strait and transform the area into a situation resembling that of the Strait of Hormuz,” he said.

The three Houthi military sources also said their group was preparing to launch an operation to seize areas south of Hodeida.

They said around 2,000 fighters had been deployed to front lines along Yemen’s western coast in the provinces of Taiz and Hodeida, along with rocket launchers.

Mohammed Al-Basha, of the US-based risk advisory the Basha Report, warned in a post last week that the Houthis “are making a push to capture” the vital strait.

“Houthi attacks on Mokha port point to efforts to choke off weapon supplies from government forces on the western coast and to prepare for a push toward Bab El-Mandeb,” he told AFP.

“Taking the strip of land around Bab El-Mandeb strait would be easier than fighting well-entrenched troops in the Marib desert and a strategic win. The battle for Bab El-Mandeb is coming sooner or later.”

Earlier this month, the group denied it sought to charge ships for passage through Bab El-Mandeb after Eryani accused them of trying to imitate Iran’s efforts to impose tolls on the Strait of Hormuz.

In July, Yemen became the latest country to be dragged into the Middle East war when the Houthis upended a 2022 truce with Yemen’s UN-recognized government.

These were the details of the news Houthis plan to turn Bab El-Mandeb into 'Red Sea’s Strait of Hormuz', Yemeni minister warns for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Russian strikes kill 12 in Kyiv as Ukraine grapples with air defense shortages
NEXT Trump threatens to hit Iran ‘very hard’ amid reports of new strikes

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]