Italy's Meloni blasts Israel’s 'unacceptable' treatment of Gaza flotilla activists

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Italy's Meloni blasts Israel’s 'unacceptable' treatment of Gaza flotilla activists in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - ROME —Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has demanded an apology from Tel Aviv, slamming its “unacceptable” treatment of Gaza flotilla activists detained by Israel after an Israeli minister posted a video of them bound and forced to kneel.
The Israeli Defense Forces intercepted the flotilla of some 50 vessels on Sunday, firing rubber bullets, boarding the boats and taking some 400 activists from 40 countries back to Israel.
“It is intolerable that these protesters, among whom there are many Italian citizens, are subjected to this treatment, which violates human dignity,” Meloni said in a statement, referring to the video posted by far-right national Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir.
In another sign of deteriorating Israeli-Italian relations, Meloni announced on Wednesday that her foreign minister, Antonio Tajani, called in the Israeli ambassador “to seek formal clarification”, according to an official statement.
“Italy also demands an apology for the treatment inflicted on these demonstrators and for the total disregard shown toward the explicit requests of the Italian government,” the Italian leader said, while calling for the immediate release of any detained Italian citizens.
The video posted by Ben Gvir showed activists kneeling with their hands tied behind their backs and foreheads on the ground.
The footage, published on Ben Gvir’s X account and captioned “Welcome to Israel,” shows dozens of activists on the deck of a military boat with the Israeli national anthem blaring, and in detention in Israel, where the firebrand minister is seen waving an Israeli flag.
The Global Sumud Flotilla set sail from Turkey last week in the latest attempt by activists to breach Israel’s blockade of the Palestinian territory, after Israeli forces intercepted a previous convoy last month.
The Israeli authorities said 430 activists aboard the flotilla were en route to Israel, while the Adalah rights group said some had already arrived at Ashdod port and were being held there.
Israel controls all entry points into Gaza, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007.
During the Gaza war, triggered by Hamas’s October 2023 attack on Israel, the territory has suffered severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies, with Israel at times halting aid deliveries entirely.

Advertisements

These were the details of the news Italy's Meloni blasts Israel’s 'unacceptable' treatment of Gaza flotilla activists for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV US pressures Palestinian UN envoy to drop General Assembly race
NEXT Is Taiwan already independent? As Trump-Xi summit nears, here’s what ‘Taiwan independence’ really means

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]