Trump says he paused attack on Iran, signals a nuclear deal may be possible

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details says he paused attack on Iran, signals a nuclear deal may be possible in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - WASHINGTON — US President Donald Trump has said he is holding off on a military strike on Iran planned for Tuesday because “serious negotiations” are underway to end the war Tehran sent a peace proposal to Washington.

Advertisements

“There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I’d be very happy,” Trump said at the White House on Monday evening, after first making the announcement in a social media post.

Trump said he had planned “a very major attack” but put it off — “for a little while, hopefully, maybe forever.”

He said America’s allies in the Gulf asked him to wait for two to three days because they feel they are close to a deal with Iran.

After Iran sent the US a new peace proposal, Trump said he had instructed the US military that “we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.”

No such attack had previously been announced, and Reuters could not determine whether preparations had been made for strikes that would mark a renewal of the war Trump started in late February.

Under pressure to reach an accord that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, Trump has previously expressed hope that a deal ‌was close on ‌ending the war, and similarly threatened heavy strikes on Iran if Tehran does not reach a ‌deal.

In ⁠his post, he ⁠said the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates requested that he hold off on the attack because “a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond.” He did not offer details of the agreement being discussed.

Speaking to reporters later, he said the United States would be satisfied if it could reach an agreement with Iran that prevents Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

“There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I would be very happy,” Trump told reporters gathered for an unrelated announcement.

Trump’s post ⁠on calling off the attack came after Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Tehran’s views ‌had been “conveyed to the American side through Pakistan” but gave no details.

A Pakistani source confirmed ‌that Islamabad, which has conveyed messages between the sides in the war in the Middle East since hosting the only round of peace talks last ‌month, had shared the latest proposal with Washington. But the source suggested progress had been difficult.

The sides “keep changing their goalposts,” the Pakistani source ‌said, adding: “We don’t have much time.”

Iran remained defiant in statements issued on state media after Trump’s announcement, warning the US and its allies against making any further “strategic mistakes or miscalculations” in attacking Iran, while contending the Iranian armed forces were “more prepared and stronger than in the past.”

Iran’s top joint military command, Khatam Al-Anbiya, said Iran’s armed forces are “ready to pull the trigger” in the event of any renewed US attack, according to Iran’s Tasnim news agency.

“Any renewed ‌aggression and invasion … will be responded to quickly, decisively, powerfully, and extensively,” the commander of Khatam Al-Anbiya, Ali Abdollahi, was quoted as saying.

In an apparent softening of Washington’s stance, the senior Iranian source said on Monday that the United States had agreed to release a quarter of Iran’s frozen funds — totaling tens of billions of dollars — held in foreign banks. Iran wants all the assets released.

The Iranian source also said Washington had shown more flexibility in agreeing to let Iran continue some peaceful nuclear activity under supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

The US has not confirmed that it has agreed to anything in the talks.

Iran’s Tasnim news agency separately quoted an unidentified source as saying the US had agreed to waive oil sanctions on Iran while negotiations were under way.

Iranian officials did not immediately comment on Tasnim’s report, which a US official, who declined to be named, said was false.

A fragile ceasefire is in place after six weeks of war that followed US-Israeli airstrikes on Iran, although drones have been launched from Iraq toward Gulf countries, including Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, apparently by Iran and its allies.

Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry issued a statement on Monday condemning a drone attack on Sunday, in which Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted three drones that entered the country from Iraqi airspace.

These were the details of the news Trump says he paused attack on Iran, signals a nuclear deal may be possible for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Trump leaves China with signs of stabilized relationship, but without any major deals
NEXT Is Taiwan already independent? As Trump-Xi summit nears, here’s what ‘Taiwan independence’ really means

Author Information

I am Jeff King and I’m passionate about business and finance news with over 4 years in the industry starting as a writer working my way up into senior positions. I am the driving force behind Al-KhaleejToday.NET with a vision to broaden the company’s readership throughout 2016. I am an editor and reporter of “Financial” category. Address: 383 576 Gladwell Street Longview, TX 75604, USA Phone: (+1) 903-247-0907 Email: [email protected]