We show you our most important and recent visitors news details British doctor stuck in India after police case over Facebook post about BJP leader in the following article
Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - NEW DELHI — A British doctor has been unable to leave India for more than a month after police opened a case against him over a social media post about a top politician of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), BBC reported on Friday.
Sangram Patil, who is of Indian origin and works with the NHS, was stopped from taking a flight back to London from Mumbai on 19 January after a lookout circular was issued against him, which prevents a person under investigation from leaving the country.
Patil, who has a substantial following on Facebook and YouTube, has called the action against him "unlawful".
It's not clear when the doctor will be allowed to go back to the UK. He has approached a court, seeking the police case registered against him be dropped and travel restrictions imposed on him be removed. The matter is due to be next heard on 27 February.
"My children and my job are in the UK. International law and Indian law give me the right to move freely. Restrictions have been imposed on that. I am not able to go home," he told BBC last week.
A spokesperson from the UK's Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office did not offer specifics but said last week that they "are supporting a British man in India and are in contact with the local authorities".
Related Article
Macron and Meloni clash over French far right activist's killing
Police say they are investigating Patil over a complaint filed by Nikhil Bhamre, who handles BJP's social media in the western state of Maharashtra of which Mumbai is the capital.
Bhamre's complaint, registered on 18 December, accuses Patil of publishing "objectionable content" against a top BJP leader on Facebook. The complaint did not name the BJP leader who was targeted, but it came four days after Patil had posted a comment about Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Facebook.
Police registered a case against Patil under India's criminal code "for making statements containing false information that could lead to a feeling of enmity and hatred between communities". The offence is bailable and carries a maximum sentence of up to three years.
Patil has rejected the allegations, saying it was "unlawful to register such a complaint against me for that social media post".
"My post is a simple question to government supporters and nothing else. It doesn't involve any community, any rumour or sensational news," Patil said. — Agencies
These were the details of the news British doctor stuck in India after police case over Facebook post about BJP leader for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

