We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Retail tycoon Les Wexner tells US Congress he was duped by Epstein in the following article
Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - WASHINGTON — US billionaire Les Wexner, who is alleged to have played a key role in helping Jeffrey Epstein build his wealth, told members of US Congress on Wednesday that he was “duped by a world-class con man” and blamed himself for trusting the late sex offender.
“I was naive, foolish, and gullible to put any trust in Jeffrey Epstein. He was a con man. And while I was conned, I have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide,” the 88-year-old retired founder of L Brands said in a statement to the House Oversight and Reform Committee released before his interview.
The former CEO of Victoria's Secret lingerie brand accused Epstein of stealing "vast sums" of money from his family when working as his financial adviser.
Wexner, who was testifying before a House committee as part of its probe into the Epstein case, has denied any wrongdoing.
He was described as a potential co-conspirator of Epstein's in a 2019 FBI document, but no charges were ever brought against him.
Lawmakers accused the billionaire of knowing about the crimes of Epstein but failing to stop them.
Wexner was called before the House committee on Wednesday to answer questions surrounding his relationship with Epstein in the wake of the release of thousands of documents related to the financier's wrongdoing.
Members of the committee traveled to Wexner's home state of Ohio for the testimony.
A spokesperson for the 88-year-old tycoon told the BBC: "Mr Wexner honestly answered every question put to him today by the Committee.
"Mr Wexner reiterated that he has no knowledge of, and did not participate in, Epstein's illegal conduct. He stands by that fervently."
Related Article
Wave of arrests over nationalist student's death piles pressure on French far left
Only Democratic lawmakers attended the deposition.
"We should be very clear that there would be no Epstein island, there'd be no Epstein plane, there'd be no money to traffic women and girls," congressman Robert Garcia, of California, said.
"Mr Epstein would not be the wealthy man he was without the support of Les Wexner."
Wexner, in his opening statement, defended those mentions by saying his relationship with Epstein was limited, and denied any knowledge of the convicted sex offender's abuse.
He said he was "pleased to testify" and wanted "to set the record straight".
Wexner also said he had visited Epstein's private island for "a few hours" with his family.
The pair's relationship dates back to the 1980s and Wexner has said he cut ties after Epstein was accused of sexually abusing children in Florida.
Wexner said he later discovered Epstein "had misappropriated vast sums of money from me and my family", a statement he repeated in his opening remarks.
Deputy US Attorney General Todd Blanche previously said Wexner's name "appears in the files thousands of times".
Wexner's lawyers recently told the BBC: "The Assistant US Attorney told Mr Wexner's legal counsel in 2019 that Mr Wexner was being viewed as source of information about Epstein and was not a target in any respect.
"Mr Wexner co-operated fully by providing background information on Epstein and was never contacted again." — Agencies
These were the details of the news Retail tycoon Les Wexner tells US Congress he was duped by Epstein for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.
