WHO condemns ‘abrupt halt’ to medical evacuations from Gaza

WHO condemns ‘abrupt halt’ to medical evacuations from Gaza
WHO condemns ‘abrupt halt’ to medical evacuations from Gaza

Hello and welcome to the details of WHO condemns ‘abrupt halt’ to medical evacuations from Gaza and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Palestinian children sit on their family's belongings upon their arrival in Khan Yunis from Rafah as people moved to safer areas further north in the southern Gaza Strip, following renewed Israeli strikes on May 28, 2024 amid continuing battles between Israel and Hamas. Israel again bombarded Gaza's far-southern Rafah area on May 28 despite a global storm of outrage over a strike that set ablaze a crowded tent city the previous day. — AFP pic

GENEVA, May 28 — More people will die in Gaza because medical evacuations from the Palestinian territory have halted since Israel launched its offensive in Rafah three weeks ago, the World Health Organisation said today.

The WHO has long been pleaded with Israel to allow more critically ill and wounded people to leave Gaza.

Thousands of Gazans are estimated to require urgent medical evacuation but few have been able to leave the besieged territory since war on October 7 after the Hamas attacks on Israel.

WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris said that since Israel launched a military offensive in the densely crowded southern city of Rafah in early May, “there’s been an abrupt halt to all medical evacuations”.

Advertisement

She warned that the cut-off obviously meant more people will die waiting for treatment.

Before October 7, between 50 and 100 people left the enclave every day for treatment not available in the territory, including for cancer.

“Those people didn’t go away simply because conflict started, so they all still need a referral,” Harris told reporters in Geneva.

Advertisement

Since services in Gaza have been disastrously disrupted by the conflict, far more people need to leave for treatment they used to access inside Gaza, like chemotherapy or dialysis, she said.

In addition, thousands now need to evacuate after suffering severe injuries in the war.

“If they don’t get the treatment sadly they die,” she commented.

10,000 waiting

The Gaza war began after Hamas fighters attacked southern Israel on October 7, resulting in the deaths of more than 1,170 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli official figures.

Palestinian militants also took 252 hostages, 121 of whom remain in Gaza, including 37 the Israeli army says are dead.

Israel’s military retaliation has killed at least 36,096 people in Gaza, mostly civilians, according to the Hamas-run territory’s health ministry.

WHO estimates that there are now typically “around 10,000 people who need to be evacuated... to receive the much-needed medical treatment elsewhere”, Harris said.

They include more than 6,000 trauma-related patients and at least 2,000 patients with chronic conditions, like cancer, she said.

Since medical evacuations halted on May 8, an additional 1,000 critically ill and wounded patients have been added to that list, Harris said.

Before the cut-off, WHO had received approval from Israel for 5,800 medical evacuations—about half of the number it had requested since the war began.

Of the 5,800, only 4,900 patients had been able to leave, Harris said.

Without treatment ‘you die’

Even more people require medical evacuation after an Israeli strike set fire to a displacement camp in Rafah on Sunday killing 45 people. Hundreds of civilians were left with shrapnel and burn wounds, according to Gaza officials and medics.

Harris pointed out that severe burns require “very, very complex treatment”, and “if you don’t get that treatment, you die”.

The charred carnage, blackened corpses and children being rushed to hospitals after Sunday’s strike has caused global outcry. Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu insisted the deaths were a “tragic accident”.

James Elder, spokesman for the UN children’s agency Unicef, dismissed that assertion.

“I guess the question is what then to call the ferocious attacks that have killed thousands and thousands of children ... (or) the countless children who have had arms and legs amputated or the thousands who have been orphaned?” he asked.

“I think surely the question that needs to be asked is how many more mistakes is the world going to tolerate?” — AFP

These were the details of the news WHO condemns ‘abrupt halt’ to medical evacuations from Gaza for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Hindu holy city votes as India’s six-week election ends
NEXT Canada’s infamous serial killer Robert Pickton dies after prison attack

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]