Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Coronavirus: Lebanon goes into lockdown to contain outbreak and now with details
Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - Lebanon’s private and public institutions will be shut and non-necessary social movements will be banned for two weeks from March 15 to limit the spread of the coronavirus, the government announced on Sunday evening.
Beirut’s international airport will be closed from next Wednesday until March 29.
Except for situations of “extreme necessity”, citizens may not leave their homes or gather in public and private places, Manal Abdel Samad, the Information Minister, said after a four-hour emergency government meeting.
In a short speech, Prime Minister Hassan Diab said the government was taking “the maximum measures to protect the Lebanese".
Key public institutions including the state-run national utility company, banks and security forces, and public and private medical centres will stay open, as will shops selling food.
Customs fees and VAT will be lifted for two months on medical equipment imports necessary to treat patients infected with Covid-19.
Lebanese citizens, their relatives and diplomats will be allowed to enter Lebanon until Beirut’s international airport shuts on Wednesday if they carry a health certificate proving they are not infected, Ms Abdel Samad said.
People arriving from countries and regions that had been earlier banned will not be allowed to enter Lebanon.
They are France, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Germany, Spain, the UK, Italy, Iran, China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, and South Korea.
Three people have died of the coronavirus in the country of about 4 to 5 million people, and at least 100 people are infected.
Measures taken since late February include the closure of schools, universities and restaurants, and limiting religious celebrations.
People walking on Beirut’s corniche, one of the city’s rare public spaces, were told to leave by police on Sunday afternoon.
As the sense of urgency mounted, several MPs tweeted that they would donate a portion or all of their salary to public hospitals treating patients infected with the coronavirus.
On Sunday evening, Health Minister Hamad Hassan launched a national fund to fight coronavirus, donating his March salary to it and pledging to be transparent about donations.
Shortly before the government meeting on Sunday afternoon, President Michel Aoun said that the country was in a state of “medical emergency".
He chaired a meeting of the higher defence council, which recommended that the government issue the decrees necessary for a “general mobilisation”.
In Lebanese law, that allows the government to draft in armed forces “to reduce the exposure of the population and vital installations to danger", the state-run National News Agency reported.
The government may take control over energy sources and industrial production, monitor transport and communications and confiscate private funds.
This would be a first in recent history, retired general Khalil Helou said.
“They could draft in retired soldiers as well as army medical staff,” Mr Helou told The National.
“Everything would be centralised under one state authority, like in China."
He was referring to the origin of the coronavirus in Wuhan, where Maj Gen Chen Wei led efforts to contain the coronavirus.
But the decrees must first be voted on by the government, and this could take several days, Mr Helou said.
The government will also be taking steps to control media reporting of the coronavirus, Ms Abdel Samad said.
There will be co-ordination “with all media outlets” about how to report on the pandemic, and a government website with information on Covid-19 will be launched.
“It is important to give the right news about the coronavirus to not create panic,” Ms Abdel Samad said.
Updated: March 16, 2020 03:37 AM
These were the details of the news Coronavirus: Lebanon goes into lockdown to contain outbreak for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.