Prince Harry’s privacy case against Murdoch tabloids to proceed as planned

Prince Harry’s privacy case against Murdoch tabloids to proceed as planned
Prince Harry’s privacy case against Murdoch tabloids to proceed as planned

Hello and welcome to the details of Prince Harry’s privacy case against Murdoch tabloids to proceed as planned and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, departs the Rolls Building of the High Court in London June 7, 2023. — Reuters pic

LONDON, April 19 — Prince Harry’s privacy case has avoided a major delay after London’s High Court rejected an application by the publisher of Rupert Murdoch-owned British mass-market newspapers that could have caused stalled proceedings for two years.

In total, 42 figures are suing News Group Newspapers (NGN), the publisher of the Sun and the defunct News of the World, over allegations that its journalists, or private detectives they contracted, had been involved in unlawful activities and invasion of their privacy.

A trial focusing on some of those claims, possibly including Harry’s, is due to begin at the High Court in London in January next year, but on Wednesday the publisher, NGN, applied to have a ruling first on whether some of the lawsuits had been brought outside a six-year time limit for legal action.

Advertisement

Today, Judge Timothy Fancourt rejected that application for a preliminary trial, meaning the cases will proceed as planned.

Fancourt said it could lead to an “unsatisfactory” two-year delay and risk increasing costs, saying it was unlikely that NGN would win a time limitation argument in every case.

Last July, Fancourt rejected an application by NGN to strike out Harry’s lawsuit, ruling the prince could proceed with some of his allegations about confidential details about him being obtained by deception, although his accusations of phone-hacking were ruled to be time-barred.

Advertisement

Actor Hugh Grant had also won similar permission, but he said on Wednesday he had reluctantly settled his case with NGN for an “enormous sum of money”.

Harry’s lawyer David Sherborne said the prince too might be forced to agree a deal because anyone who rejected a settlement offer which was ultimately less than the damages awarded by a court could be liable to pay the legal fees of both sides, potentially running into millions of pounds.

While NGN has paid out hundreds of millions of pounds to victims of phone-hacking by News of the World and settled more than 1,300 lawsuits, it has always rejected allegations of any wrongdoing by staff at The Sun. — Reuters

These were the details of the news Prince Harry’s privacy case against Murdoch tabloids to proceed as planned for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT India on ‘red alert’ over severe heatwave

Author Information

I am Jeff King and I’m passionate about business and finance news with over 4 years in the industry starting as a writer working my way up into senior positions. I am the driving force behind Al-KhaleejToday.NET with a vision to broaden the company’s readership throughout 2016. I am an editor and reporter of “Financial” category. Address: 383 576 Gladwell Street Longview, TX 75604, USA Phone: (+1) 903-247-0907 Email: [email protected]