France to sue teen over headscarf row claim

France to sue teen over headscarf row claim
France to sue teen over headscarf row claim

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details France to sue teen over headscarf row claim in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - PARIS — France's prime minister says a teenage girl will be sued by the state for falsely accusing her headteacher of striking her in a heated exchange over her wearing an Islamic head-covering.

The headteacher insisted that the pupil remove her head-covering inside the school, in accordance with French law.

He resigned after death threats circulated on social media.

The extremist threat to French schools is taken extremely seriously since the murder of two teachers.

Samuel Paty was decapitated on the street in a Paris suburb in 2020 and Dominique Bernard was killed at his school in Arras five months ago.

The Paris school headteacher, whose name has not been made public, announced his decision in an email sent on Friday to colleagues at the Maurice Ravel Lycée in the 20th district of Paris.

"I have finally taken the decision to quit my functions," he explained, "out of concern for my own safety and that of the establishment."

"I leave after seven years, rich and intense, spent at your side, and after 45 years in public education," he wrote, thanking his colleagues for the support they had shown him over the past three weeks.

In the incident, which took place on 28 February, the head told three female pupils they should obey the law by removing their head coverings.

Two complied, but the third did not and there was an altercation.

In the days that followed, the head was the object of death threats on social media, which were signaled by the school to an interior ministry hotline.

Prosecutors said two people had been detained in connection with the death threats. Their identities have not been revealed, but the education ministry said they had no link with the school.

Police were sent to patrol around the school, which also received a visit from Education Minister Nicole Belloubet.

Officers found no evidence that the headteacher had struck the girl, and now Prime Minister Gabriel Attal has stepped in to say she is to be taken to court for making false allegations.

"The state... will always stand with these officials, those who are on the frontline faced with these breaches of secularism, these attempts of Islamist entryism in our education establishments," he said.

Politicians from both left and right expressed outrage that the career of a respected teacher should be ended by a hate campaign on the Internet.

"This government is incapable of protecting our schools," said Marine Le Pen of the hard-right National Rally on X, formerly known as Twitter.

"It is defeat for the state... " said her niece Marion Maréchal of the rival hard-right party Reconquest.

"This is where you end up when your policy is 'don't make waves'. This is where all those little surrenders lead to," said Bruno Retailleau of the center-right Republicans.

"It's unacceptable. When a headteacher steps down because of death threats, it is a collective failure," said Boris Vallaud of the Socialist Party.

In a separate development, several Paris schools were forced to close on Wednesday after they received bomb threats.

Last week around 30 other schools in the Paris area received similar threats, accompanied by a video of a beheading.

While investigators are obliged to take the threats seriously, they cannot rule out that they are part of a Russian disinformation campaign.

Prime Minister Attal warned earlier this month that the Kremlin had embarked on a "massive destabilization enterprise" to undermine French support for Ukraine. — BBC


These were the details of the news France to sue teen over headscarf row claim for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV MI5 sued by Manchester Arena bomb survivors
NEXT Barrage of Russian attacks aims to cut Ukraine's lights

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]