ICC has no authority to probe Philippines, Marcos tells Germany’s Scholz

ICC has no authority to probe Philippines, Marcos tells Germany’s Scholz
ICC has no authority to probe Philippines, Marcos tells Germany’s Scholz

Hello and welcome to the details of ICC has no authority to probe Philippines, Marcos tells Germany’s Scholz and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. told German Chancellor Olaf Scholz the Hague-based International Criminal Court has no authority to probe former President Rodrigo Duterte’s deadly war against drugs. — Reuters pic

MANILA, March 14 — Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. told German Chancellor Olaf Scholz the Hague-based International Criminal Court (ICC) has no authority to probe his predecessor’s deadly war against drugs.

Marcos discussed the ICC’s probe during a bilateral meeting with Scholz on Tuesday in Germany where he was on a working visit, according to a readout from the Philippine presidential office published late yesterday.

Former President Rodrigo Duterte officially withdrew from the international tribunal in 2019 after questioning its power to probe his anti-narcotics campaign, which had killed thousands.

Marcos said Philippine courts continue to function and law enforcers are investigating the killings.

Advertisement

“It is very difficult for the Philippines to accept that an outside court will, shall I say, dictate to our policemen who they will investigate, who they will arrest,” Marcos said.

The readout did not say how Scholz responded to Marcos’ position. Germany is one of the biggest backers and contributors to the ICC.

Marcos separately told reporters the drug campaign has “completely changed” to prevention and rehabilitation, a claim the Human Rights Watch has questioned, saying the killings have continued.

Advertisement

“He cannot claim progress because the impunity persists,” Human Rights Watch Asia Deputy Director Bryony Lau said in a statement.

The Hague-based tribunal rejected last year an appeal from Manila and allowed the resumption of an investigation into the drug war killings and other suspected rights abuses.

Police say they killed 6,200 suspected dealers who resisted arrest during anti-drug operations. Rights groups say the toll could be much higher.

In November, Marcos said he was studying a possible return to the ICC’s fold. Months later, he said the Philippines will not ‘lift a finger’ to help in any ICC probe. — Reuters

These were the details of the news ICC has no authority to probe Philippines, Marcos tells Germany’s Scholz for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Deadly blast at Iraq army base amid Israel-Iran tensions
NEXT Barrage of Russian attacks aims to cut Ukraine's lights

Author Information

I am Jeff King and I’m passionate about business and finance news with over 4 years in the industry starting as a writer working my way up into senior positions. I am the driving force behind Al-KhaleejToday.NET with a vision to broaden the company’s readership throughout 2016. I am an editor and reporter of “Financial” category. Address: 383 576 Gladwell Street Longview, TX 75604, USA Phone: (+1) 903-247-0907 Email: [email protected]