Israel says weekend strike targeted senior Hamas commander

Israel says weekend strike targeted senior Hamas commander
Israel says weekend strike targeted senior Hamas commander

Hello and welcome to the details of Israel says weekend strike targeted senior Hamas commander and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Israel said yesterday that an air strike in Gaza over the weekend targeted a senior Hamas militant, but it was unclear whether he was killed. — AFP pic

JERUSALEM, March 12 — Israel said yesterday that an air strike in Gaza over the weekend targeted a senior Hamas militant, but it was unclear whether he was killed.

The strike occurred “between Saturday and Sunday” on an underground compound in central Gaza, near the Nuseirat refugee camp, military spokesman Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari told a press briefing.

“The compound was used by two senior members of the organisation” including “Marwan Issa who was the deputy of Mohammed Deif and one of the planners of the massacre on October 7,” Hagari said.

Deif heads Hamas’s armed wing, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, and is accused by Israel of being one of the masterminds of the October 7 attack.

Advertisement

“We are still examining the results of the strike, and final confirmation has yet to be received,” Hagari said, in an announcement on the first day of the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan.

In early January a strike in Beirut’s southern suburbs killed Saleh al-Aruri, a founder of the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades who at his death was the deputy political chief of Hamas.

A United States Defence Department official said at the time that Israel carried out that strike.

Advertisement

Earlier on Monday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel was on its way to “total victory” in the war triggered by Hamas’s unprecedented October 7 attack on southern Israel.

That attack resulted in the deaths of about 1,160 people, according to an AFP tally of official Israeli figures. Militants also seized about 250 hostages, dozens of whom were released during a week-long truce in November. Israel believes 99 hostages still in Gaza remain alive and 31 have died.

In December, the European Union placed sanctions on Issa and Deif. In January it added the Islamist movement’s Gaza political chief Yahya Sinwar to the same “terrorist” sanctions list.

Israeli officials accuse Sinwar of being the top mastermind of the October 7 attack.

Palestinian media reported in December that Issa’s son Mohammed was killed in an Israeli strike.

Israel’s relentless military campaign to destroy Hamas has killed at least 31,112 people, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory. — AFP

These were the details of the news Israel says weekend strike targeted senior Hamas commander for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV MI5 sued by Manchester Arena bomb survivors
NEXT Barrage of Russian attacks aims to cut Ukraine's lights

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]