Israel demands names of hostages still alive for deal on new ceasefire

Israel demands names of hostages still alive for deal on new ceasefire
Israel demands names of hostages still alive for deal on new ceasefire

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Israel demands names of hostages still alive for deal on new ceasefire in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - CAIRO — Mediators and Hamas have arrived in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, for talks on a new ceasefire, as Israel is reported to be demanding reassurances on the hostages' fate before attending.

An unnamed US official has said Israel has "more or less accepted" the deal.

But Israeli media said Hamas is refusing to say which of its hostages are still alive, so Israel will not attend.

The US said the six-week pause would see the release of more Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners.

Pressure for a deal intensified after Thursday's incident outside Gaza City in the north of the territory where at least 112 people were killed as crowds rushed an aid convoy.

Hamas has accused Israel of shooting at civilians as they attempted to get food. Israel has denied this, and on Sunday it said an initial review had concluded that Israeli troops had shot against "several individuals" who approached them, but that most of the deaths were caused by the crush of people.

Egyptian officials, who have been running the talks with Qatar, said delegations from both Hamas and Israel were expected to attend the negotiations.

Hamas is reported to have said that an agreement on a truce could be reached within the next 24 to 48 hours, with a source from the group telling Egyptian media a deal depended on Israel agreeing to its demands.

Expectations of a deal were raised after a senior US official said Israel for its part had "basically agreed" a framework for a six-week ceasefire.

The Israel military launched a large-scale air and ground campaign to destroy Hamas after its gunmen killed about 1,200 people in southern Israel on Oct. 7 and took 253 back to Gaza as hostages.

Gaza's Hamas-run Health Ministry says at least 30,410 people, including 21,000 children and women, have been killed in Gaza since then with some 7,000 missing and 71,700 injured.

Pressure for a ceasefire has grown after warnings from aid organizations that there is a risk of famine in northern Gaza.

Jan Egeland, head of the Norwegian Refugee Council, has just returned from a three-day visit to the territory.

"I was prepared for nightmare, but it is worse, much worse," Egeland told the BBC on Sunday.

"People want to take your hand... saying 'we are starving, we are dying here'.

"I think there is famine in the north," he said, adding that there had been no aid for 300,000 people living in ruins, with Israel not allowing any through.

After Thursday's aid convoy incident, the US carried out its first airdrop of humanitarian aid for Gaza, with more than 30,000 meals parachuted in by three military planes on Saturday.

Elsewhere, Israel said on Sunday it carried out an intensive wave of air strikes in the southern Gaza city of Khan Younis. The number of casualties is not known.

At least 11 people were killed in an Israeli air strike at a camp for displaced people in Rafah in southern Gaza on Saturday, according to Hamas.

World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called the attack "outrageous".

The Israeli army said it had carried out a "precision strike" against Islamic militants in the area. — BBC


These were the details of the news Israel demands names of hostages still alive for deal on new ceasefire for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Trump loses bid to delay hush money trial until US Supreme Court review
NEXT Barrage of Russian attacks aims to cut Ukraine's lights

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]