At least 64 shot dead in Papua New Guinea ambush

At least 64 shot dead in Papua New Guinea ambush
At least 64 shot dead in Papua New Guinea ambush

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details At least 64 shot dead in Papua New Guinea ambush in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - SYDNEY — At least 64 people have died in an ambush in Papua New Guinea's remote Highlands region.

The victims were shot dead during a tribal dispute in the Enga province over the weekend, a national police spokesman told the BBC.

The Highlands area has long struggled with violence, but these killings are believed to be the worst in years.

An influx of illegal firearms has made clashes more deadly and fuelled a cycle of violence.

Police started collecting bodies at the scene near the town of Wabag - roughly 600km (373 miles) northwest of the capital Port Moresby.

"This is by far the largest [killing] I've seen in Enga, maybe in all of Highlands as well," Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary Acting Supt George Kakas told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).

"We're all devastated, we're all mentally stressed out. It's really hard to comprehend."

Police received graphic videos and photos purporting to be from the scene, showing bodies loaded onto a truck, say media outlets.

Escalating tribal conflict - often over the distribution of land and wealth - led to a three-month lockdown in Enga last July, during which police imposed a curfew and travel restrictions.

In August last year, the violence made international headlines after graphic footage involving three dead men circulated online.

Governor Peter Ipatas told ABC that there had been signs that fighting was about to erupt again ahead of the ambush.

With up to 17 tribes involved in the most recent escalation, it was ultimately up to the security forces to keep the peace, he said.

"From a provincial perspective, we knew this fight was going to be on and we [alerted] the security forces last week to make sure they took appropriate action to ensure this didn't occur."

Security more broadly remains a key concern for PNG. The government last month declared a state of emergency after major rioting and looting left at least 15 people dead.

Australia - one of the country's closest allies - said news of the killings was "very disturbing".

"We're providing considerable support, particularly for training police officers and for security in Papua New Guinea," Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said in a radio interview on Monday. — BBC


These were the details of the news At least 64 shot dead in Papua New Guinea ambush for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Philippines’ Marcos says will not hand former president Duterte to ICC over drug war

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]