UK High Court throws out Trump ex-spy dossier case

UK High Court throws out Trump ex-spy dossier case
UK High Court throws out Trump ex-spy dossier case

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details UK High Court throws out ex-spy dossier case in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - LONDON — Donald Trump's attempt to bring a case in the UK against a former MI6 officer who compiled a salacious dossier linking him to Russia has failed.

The former president had been seeking to use data protection laws to sue the company run by Christopher Steele but the High Court has thrown out the case.

Steele compiled the dossier which contained unproven allegations about bribing officials and sex parties.

It was leaked to the media just before Trump was sworn in as president.

In bringing the lawsuit against Orbis Business Intelligence Ltd, he said the dossier contained allegations that were inaccurate and breached his data protection rights.

In Thursday's ruling in London, Justice Steyn DBE said she did not make any judgment on the allegations themselves but found Trump's claim had not been brought within the six-year limitation period.

"There are no compelling reasons to allow the claim to proceed to trial," she wrote.

A statement is expected from Steele later today. He has previously said the dossier was a series of memos based on intelligence and never meant for publication.

The case stems from 2016, when a US political consultancy asked Steele's company to produce a report into potential Russian interference in that year's US general election.

The project was paid for by Hillary Clinton's Democrats and other political opponents of Trump.

Steele, the former head of MI6's Russia desk, sent his findings to the FBI, a British national security officer and an aide to a senior US senator.

The dossier, later obtained and published by BuzzFeed News, detailed uncorroborated intelligence claims that Trump had a "compromising relationship with the Kremlin".

The former president said in his witness statement when he brought the case last year that "none of these things [in the Steele dossier] ever happened."

"I can confirm that I did not, at any time engage in perverted sexual behaviour including the hiring of prostitutes to engage in 'golden showers' in the presidential suite of a hotel in Moscow."

Trump said official investigations had debunked the dossier but it continued "to cause me significant damage and distress" because people still believed it.

He added that he had not had time to sue in the UK before 2023 because he had been busy being president.

Antony White KC, for Orbis, told the court in October that Trump had accepted that the company was not responsible for BuzzFeed's publication of the document.

Orbis also argued that the former president's case was an attempt to address "longstanding grievances".

An inquiry by Special Counsel Robert Mueller looked at allegations that Trump's campaign and transition teams conspired with Russian agents to sway the 2016 election in his favour.

It did not establish that there was a criminal conspiracy but it laid out 10 instances where he had possibly obstructed justice. — BBC


These were the details of the news UK High Court throws out Trump ex-spy dossier case for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV India asks tech firms to seek approval before releasing ‘unreliable’ AI tools
NEXT Italy foreign minister urges ‘immediate ceasefire’ in Gaza

Author Information

I am Jeff King and I’m passionate about business and finance news with over 4 years in the industry starting as a writer working my way up into senior positions. I am the driving force behind Al-KhaleejToday.NET with a vision to broaden the company’s readership throughout 2016. I am an editor and reporter of “Financial” category. Address: 383 576 Gladwell Street Longview, TX 75604, USA Phone: (+1) 903-247-0907 Email: [email protected]