Hamas says 70 killed in Israeli air strike on camp

Hamas says 70 killed in Israeli air strike on camp
Hamas says 70 killed in Israeli air strike on camp

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Hamas says 70 killed in Israeli air strike on camp in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - GAZA — The Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza says an Israeli air strike killed at least 70 people in the Al-Maghazi refugee camp in the centre of the strip.

A spokesman said the death toll was likely to rise given the large number of families living in the area.

The Israeli military told the BBC it was looking into reports of the strike.

Israeli and Arab media say Egypt, which borders the Gaza Strip, has put forward a new proposal for a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Dozens of injured people were rushed from Maghazi to nearby Al-Aqsa Hospital with footage showing some children's faces covered in blood and body bags piled outside.

The health ministry says three houses were hit in the attack late on Sunday.

According to ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra, a densely populated residential block was destroyed.

A father said he had lost his daughter and grandchildren, adding that his family had fled from the north for safety in central Gaza.

"They lived on the third floor of one of the buildings," he said. "The wall collapsed on them. My grandchildren, my daughter, her husband -- all gone.

"We are all targeted. Civilians are targeted. There is no safe place. They told us to leave Gaza City - now we came to central Gaza to die."

The Palestine Red Crescent Society says "intense" Israeli air strikes have led to the closure of main roads between Maghazi and two other refugee camps, Al-Bureij and Al-Nuseirat, "hindering the work of ambulances and rescue teams".

In a statement to the BBC, the Israeli military said it had received "reports of an incident in the Maghazi camp".

"Despite the challenges posed by Hamas terrorists operating within civilian areas in Gaza, the IDF [Israeli Defense Forces] is committed to international law including taking feasible steps to minimize harm to civilians," it added.

According to the health ministry, more than 20,000 people have been killed - mostly children and women - and 54,000 injured in Gaza since 7 October, when Hamas and other Palestinian groups attacked Israel, killing 1,200 people and taking about 240 hostages.

Earlier on Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the war had come at a "very heavy price" for his country.

The Israeli military said more than a dozen soldiers had been killed in Gaza since Friday, bringing the total for the ground offensive launched after 7 October to 154.

Saturday was one of its deadliest days but Netanyahu said there was "no choice" but to keep fighting.

The new ceasefire proposal by Egypt would be implemented in three parts:

The first phase of the ceasefire would see a humanitarian pause of seven to ten days during which Hamas would release all civilian hostages in exchange for some Palestinian prisoners from Israeli jails

In the week-long second phase, Hamas would release all Israeli female soldiers in return for more prisoners and the exchange of corpses held since 7 October

The third phase, which would last a month, would see the release of the remaining hostages and a number of Palestinian prisoners and Israel withdrawing from the Gaza Strip and suspension of all aerial activities.

Indirect negotiations would be held in Egypt with Qatari and US participation.

An Israeli source told Maariv newspaper that the Egyptian initiative could lead to negotiations. Hamas says it is studying the proposal.

In another development, Pope Francis appealed for peace in the Middle East as he presided over a Christmas Eve Mass at Saint Peter's Basilica in the Vatican.

Referring to the war between Israel and Hamas, the Pope said Jesus's message of peace was being drowned out by the "futile logic of war" in the very land where he had been born. — BBC


These were the details of the news Hamas says 70 killed in Israeli air strike on camp for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Colorado confirms four poultry workers with human bird flu, possible fifth pending CDC confirmation
NEXT US military raises alert level for Europe bases: reports

Author Information

I am Jeff King and I’m passionate about business and finance news with over 4 years in the industry starting as a writer working my way up into senior positions. I am the driving force behind Al-KhaleejToday.NET with a vision to broaden the company’s readership throughout 2016. I am an editor and reporter of “Financial” category. Address: 383 576 Gladwell Street Longview, TX 75604, USA Phone: (+1) 903-247-0907 Email: [email protected]