DPR Korea urged to ‘embrace diplomacy’ after latest ballistic missile launch

DPR Korea urged to ‘embrace diplomacy’ after latest ballistic missile launch
DPR Korea urged to ‘embrace diplomacy’ after latest ballistic missile launch

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details DPR Korea urged to ‘embrace diplomacy’ after latest ballistic missile launch in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - NEW YORK —Repeated long-range ballistic missile launches by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) represent a serious threat to international air and sea transportation, a senior UN official told the Security Council on Tuesday.

“At this particularly difficult moment in securing global peace and security, it is imperative to deescalate the situation on the Korean Peninsula so that it once again becomes an area for cooperation,” said Khaled Khiari, UN Assistant Secretary-General for the Middle East, Asia and the Pacific.

Khiari briefed the Council in the wake of the latest launch which took place at 8:24 a.m. local time on Monday, according to the DPRK’s official news agency and various government sources.

The Hwasong-18 type intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) flew a distance of some 1,000 kilometers and reached an altitude of 6,500 kilometers before falling into the sea.

This marked the fifth launch of an ICBM this year, following a Hwasong-15 in February, a Hwasong-17 in March, and solid-fuel Hwasong-18 missiles in April and July, he said, adding that the systems are reportedly capable of reaching most points on Earth.

The DPRK, more commonly known as North Korea, also announced last month that it had carried out two successful tests of a new engine for a solid-fuel intermediate range ballistic missile.

UN Secretary-General António Guterres has strongly condemned the Dec. 18 launch and urged the DPRK to fully comply with its international obligations under all relevant Security Council resolutions.

In a statement, the UN chief also reiterated his call on the country “to reopen communication channels, and to resume dialogue without preconditions to achieve sustainable peace and the complete and verifiable denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.”

Khiari stressed that the launch of yet another ICBM is of serious concern, noting that despite numerous Council meetings on the matter this year, the DPRK did not heed its strong call to refrain.

“In addition, regrettably the DPRK did once again not issue any airspace or maritime safety notifications. The unannounced launches represent a serious risk to international civil aviation and maritime traffic,” he said.

He recalled that on Nov. 21, the DPRK successfully placed into orbit a reconnaissance satellite using ballistic missile technology, announcing it would launch “several reconnaissance satellites in a short span of time”, he added.

“We reiterate that any launch by the DPRK using ballistic missile technology is a violation of relevant Security Council resolutions, and we strongly urge the DPRK to refrain from such actions,” said Khiari.

He called on Council Members “to unite and make full use of the tools of dialogue, diplomacy, and negotiation, while fully complying with all Security Council resolutions.” At the same time, he urged the DPRK “to embrace diplomacy, rather than choosing isolation, as the way forward.”

Separately, Khiari also drew attention to the humanitarian situation in the DPRK, underlining that the UN is ready to assist the country in addressing the needs of its vulnerable populations.

“We note that international travel in and out of the DPRK is now taking place at a growing rate,” he said. “We urge the DPRK to allow the re-entry and rotation of the international community, including the UN Resident Coordinator and UN agencies.” — UN News


These were the details of the news DPR Korea urged to ‘embrace diplomacy’ after latest ballistic missile launch for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Italy foreign minister urges ‘immediate ceasefire’ in Gaza

Author Information

I am Jeff King and I’m passionate about business and finance news with over 4 years in the industry starting as a writer working my way up into senior positions. I am the driving force behind Al-KhaleejToday.NET with a vision to broaden the company’s readership throughout 2016. I am an editor and reporter of “Financial” category. Address: 383 576 Gladwell Street Longview, TX 75604, USA Phone: (+1) 903-247-0907 Email: [email protected]