EU opens investigation into X over alleged disinformation

EU opens investigation into X over alleged disinformation
EU opens investigation into X over alleged disinformation

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details EU opens investigation into X over alleged disinformation in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - BRUSSELS — The EU is investigating Elon Musk's X over the possible spread of terrorist and violent content, and hate speech, after Hamas' attack on Israel.

The investigation, the first under the EU's new tech rules, will also look at the way complaints are handled.

X, formerly known as Twitter, said it had removed hundreds of Hamas-affiliated accounts from the platform.

TikTok and Meta have also been warned by the EU for not doing enough to tackle disinformation.

Social media firms have seen a surge in misinformation about the conflict between Israel and Hamas, including doctored images and mislabelled videos.

The EU's industry chief, Thierry Breton, confirmed on Thursday the bloc had sent X a "formal request for information" to determine whether the platform was complying with the Digital Services Act (DSA) — a law designed to protect users of big tech platforms which recently came into effect.

X CEO Linda Yaccarino said earlier on Thursday the platform had removed hundreds of Hamas-affiliated accounts and taken action to remove or label tens of thousands of pieces of content since Saturday's attack, in response to a letter from Breton on Tuesday.

At least 150 hostages were taken into Gaza and 1,300 people were killed during Hamas's deadly attacks in Israel at the weekend.

Hamas, a Palestinian militant group, is a proscribed terrorist organisation in the EU.

While more than 1,500 people have been killed in Gaza since Israel launched retaliatory air strikes.

The UN's World Food Programme has called the situation in Gaza "dire", with food and water running out during an Israeli siege. Israel says the blockade will not end until its hostages are freed.

In his letter to Musk, Breton said "violent and terrorist content" had not been taken down from X, despite warnings.

Breton did not give details on the disinformation he was referring to in the letter, but said instances of "fake and manipulated images and facts" were widely reported on the social media platform.

In his own response on X, Musk said: "Our policy is that everything is open and transparent, an approach that I know the EU supports.

"Please list the violations you allude to on X, so that the public can see them."

The DSA became law last November but firms were given time to make sure their systems complied.

On 25 April, the commission named the very large online platforms — those with over 45 million EU users — that would be subject to the toughest rules, among them X. The law came into effect four months later in August.

Under the tougher rules, larger firms have to assess potential risks they may cause, report that assessment and put in place measures to deal with the problem.

Failure to comply with the DSA can result in EU fines of as much as 6% of a company's global turnover, or potentially suspension of the service.

X has until 18 October to provide details on how its crisis response protocol is activated and functions, and until 31 October on other issues.

Musk dissolved Twitter's Trust and Safety Council shortly after acquiring the company in 2022. Formed in 2016, the volunteer council contained about 100 independent groups who advised on issues such as self-harm, child abuse and hate speech.

Meanwhile, a Meta spokesperson told the BBC the company was "working around the clock to keep our platforms safe" and had established a "special operations centre" staffed with experts to monitor the situation. — BBC


These were the details of the news EU opens investigation into X over alleged disinformation for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV US says its forces strike unmanned surface vessels, anti-ship cruise missiles near Yemen
NEXT FBI director warns that Chinese hackers are preparing to ‘wreak havoc’ on US critical infrastructure

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]