US urges Serbia to pull back troops from Kosovo border

US urges Serbia to pull back troops from Kosovo border
US urges Serbia to pull back troops from Kosovo border

Hello and welcome to the details of US urges Serbia to pull back troops from Kosovo border and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - The White House warned that Belgrade had deployed tanks and artillery near the border after deadly clashes in northern Kosovo last week. ― DW pic

WASHINGTON, Sept 30 ― The United States yesterday called on Serbia to pull its forces back from the border with Kosovo.

The White House warned that Belgrade had deployed tanks and artillery near the border since deadly clashes erupted at a monastery in northern Kosovo last week.

Who was involved in the clashes in northern Kosovo?

On Sunday, three gunmen were killed in a shootout with Kosovar police after they ambushed a patrol near the northern Kosovar village of Banjska. One policeman was killed in the clash, which involved some 30 gunmen.

Ethnic Albanians form over 90 per cent of Kosovo's population, but the northern part of Kosovo is predominantly inhabited by ethnic Serbs.

Also yesterday, Milan Radoicic, a politician belonging to Kosovo's Serb List political party, admitted to organising the attack, his lawyer said.

Kosovo Prime Minister Albin Kurti said in comments to the Al Jazeera broadcaster that the Kosovo Serb politician was only the “executor” of the attack and accused Belgrade of having planned and ordered it.

What did the US say about Serbia's deployment near Kosovo?

“We are monitoring a large Serbian military deployment along the border with Kosovo,” White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby told reporters.

“That includes an unprecedented staging of advanced Serbian artillery, tanks, mechanized infantry units,” he said. “We believe that this is a very destabilizing development.”

Kirby said the reason for the military build-up was unclear but that it was a matter of concern.

“We are calling on Serbia to withdraw those forces from the border,” he said.

Kirby said Nato would be “increasing its presence” in Kosovo without providing further details.

Referring to the attack on Sunday, Kirby said that it had a “very high level of sophistication” and a high level of equipment and training. “It doesn't look like just a bunch of guys who got together to do this.”

Nato authorises additional KFOR forces

Also yesterday, the Nato military alliance said it had authorized additional forces for Kosovo. Nato leads the Kosovo Force (KFOR) peacekeeping mission.

The alliance said it had “authorised additional forces to address the current situation” but did not provide further details.

Later, the British Ministry of Defence said it had transferred one of its battalions to Nato to provide support if required. The battalion is a reserve force for KFOR.

Blinken, Vucic discuss de-escalation

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke with Serbian President Aleksandar in a phone call yesterday.

Blinken and Vucic discussed the importance of taking immediate measures for de-escalation, according to Blinken's spokesman Matthew Miller.

Miller said Blinken “underscored that those responsible for the attacks who are now in Serbia must be held accountable.”

Blinken also voiced support for the actions of the Nato-led KFOR peacekeeping mission and the EU's EULEUX mission in responding to the violence. ― DW

These were the details of the news US urges Serbia to pull back troops from Kosovo border for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Prabowo claims ‘victory for all Indonesians’ in presidential vote
NEXT Macron tells Netanyahu Gaza operations must ‘cease’, death toll ‘intolerable’

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]