We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Thousands flee Nagorno-Karabakh as Armenia warns of ethnic cleansing risk in the following article
Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - YEREVAN — A growing stream of ethnic Armenian refugees are fleeing Nagorno-Karabakh following Azerbaijan's seizure of the disputed region last week.
More than 3,000 people have so far crossed into Armenia from the enclave, which is home to a majority of some 120,000 ethnic Armenians.
They left after the government in Yerevan announced plans to move those made homeless by the fighting.
It also warned that those who stayed could face ethnic cleansing.
Azerbaijan has said it wants to re-integrate the ethnic Armenians as "equal citizens".
The BBC has spoken to some of the refugees who arrived in the city of Goris on Sunday.
"I gave my whole life to my homeland," said one man.
"It would be better if they killed me than this."
A woman, Veronica, told the BBC's Natalia Zotova that this was the second time she had become a refugee. The first time was during the conflict in 2020.
The Armenian government said in a statement on Sunday that hundreds of the refugees had already been provided with government-funded housing.
But it has not released a clear plan of how it could cope with an influx of people. Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan announced last week that plans were in place to look after up to 40,000 refugees.
Armenians the BBC has spoken to have said they are prepared to take refugees into their homes.
Meanwhile, more than 140 people have been arrested in Yerevan on Monday following the latest anti-government protests, according to local media quoting the country's interior ministry.
The Tass news agency said special forces had begun detaining demonstrators who blocked roads in Yerevan.
Police were also stationed outside the main government building, which houses the prime minister's offices and which demonstrators have been trying to break into.
Protests first broke out last week over the government's handling of the crisis in Nagorno-Karabakh.
Mr Pashinyan has been accused of granting too many concessions to Azerbaijan.
The Armenian separatist forces in the territory agreed to disarm on Wednesday, following a lightning-fast Azerbaijani military offensive.
Armenia has repeatedly said a mass exodus from the region would be the fault of the Azerbaijani authorities.
In a TV address on Sunday, Mr Pashinyan said many inside the enclave would "see expulsion from the homeland as the only way out" unless Azerbaijan provided "real living conditions" and "effective mechanisms of protection against ethnic cleansing".
He repeated that his government was prepared to "lovingly welcome our brothers and sisters".
But David Babayan, an adviser to Nagorno-Karabakh's ethnic Armenian leader Samvel Shahramanyan, told Reuters he expected almost everyone to leave.
His people "do not want to live as part of Azerbaijan - 99.9% prefer to leave our historic lands", he said.
"The fate of our poor people will go down in history as a disgrace and a shame for the Armenian people and for the whole civilised world," he told Reuters.
"Those responsible for our fate will one day have to answer before God for their sins."
Nagorno-Karabakh - a mountainous region in the South Caucasus - is recognised internationally as part of Azerbaijan, but has been controlled by ethnic Armenians for three decades.
The enclave has been supported by Armenia - but also by their ally, Russia, which has had hundreds of soldiers there for years.
Five Russian peacekeepers were killed - alongside at least 200 ethnic Armenians and dozens of Azerbaijani soldiers - as Azerbaijan's army swept in last week.
On Sunday, Azerbaijan's defence ministry said it had confiscated more military equipment including a large number of rockets, artillery shells, mines and ammunition.
Despite Azerbaijan's public reassurances, there are fears about the residents of Nagorno-Karabakh, with only one aid delivery of 70 tonnes of food having been allowed through since separatists accepted a ceasefire and agreed to disarm.
Ethnic Armenian leaders say thousands are without food or shelter and sleeping in basements, school buildings or outside.
In his TV address, the Armenian prime minister also hinted that Russia had not come to its defence in the conflict.
His comments echoed criticism that Moscow had effectively handed Nagorno-Karabakh over to Azerbaijan - a charge Russia's foreign minister has described as "ludicrous".
"Yerevan and Baku actually did settle the situation," Sergei Lavrov told the UN General Assembly. "Time has come for mutual trust-building." — BBC
These were the details of the news Thousands flee Nagorno-Karabakh as Armenia warns of ethnic cleansing risk for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.