Libya floods aftermath: Response continues amid the wreckage

Libya floods aftermath: Response continues amid the wreckage
Libya floods aftermath: Response continues amid the wreckage

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Libya floods aftermath: Response continues amid the wreckage in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - BENGHAZI — UN teams are working tirelessly to deliver vital assistance to communities devastated by the unprecedented floods that hit eastern Libya.

Over the weekend, agency staff led missions into Derna, Shahat, Soussa and Al Bayda, delivering emergency medical supplies, food, water purification kits and shelter material.

The situation is “horrific” in Derna, said Rana Ksaifi, leading a UN refugee agency (UNHCR) team to the city.

Derna bore the brunt of the floods after two dams on the city’s outskirts collapsed, sending a torrent of water through the streets that swept entire buildings out to sea.

“I cannot explain what I saw on the way coming to Derna: roads split in half, massive rocks moved from the mountains to coastal areas, and destroyed homes,” she said.

According to the Libyan Red Crescent, over 11,000 people are reported dead there, with a further 10,100 missing. More than 30,000 people have been displaced out of a population of around 150,000 before the disaster.

UN World Health Organization (WHO) teams, along with local officials and partner organizations, are working to prevent diseases from taking hold and causing a second devastating crisis.

“This is a disaster of epic proportions,” said Ahmed Zouiten, WHO Representative in Libya.

On Sunday, the agency dispatched approximately 29 metric tons of medical supplies, brought from its contingency store in United Arab Emirates, to hospitals and primary health centers to help restore some functionality.

“We are saddened by the unspeakable loss of thousands of souls. Our thoughts are with the families who have lost loved ones, as well as with all of the affected communities.

“We are committed to providing the necessary support to restore health services for the affected population in eastern Libya,” Dr. Zouiten said.

UN agencies have also launched a $71.4 million emergency humanitarian appeal, in addition to $10 million released from the Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF), to provide lifesaving assistance and protection.

For an initial period between September-December, the Flash Appeal targets assistance for 250,000 most vulnerable among some 884,000 people in need.

According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), critical needs identified so far include emergency healthcare, water and sanitation, food, and heavy equipment to clear tons of debris.

Assessments are ongoing, OCHA added. — UN News


These were the details of the news Libya floods aftermath: Response continues amid the wreckage for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Philippine trade officials tap small businesses in Mindanao to boost halal industry growth
NEXT US military raises alert level for Europe bases: reports

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]