Pompeo calls Taliban leader amid Russian bounty scandal

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Pompeo calls Taliban leader amid Russian bounty scandal and now with details

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has called and spoken with the Taliban’s chief negotiator, a spokesman for the insurgents said on Tuesday, amid a raging controversy in Washington over when President Donald was told about US intelligence that Russia was paying the Taliban to kill US and Nato soldiers in Afghanistan.

However, it was not known whether there was any mention during the call of allegations that some Taliban militants received money to kill US and Nato soldiers in Afghanistan.

Mr Pompeo and Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar held a video conference late on Monday in which Mr Pompeo pressed the insurgents to reduce violence in Afghanistan and discussed ways of moving a peace deal signed between the US and the Taliban in February forward, Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen tweeted.

The call comes as the US peace envoy, Zalmay Khalilzad, is touring the region in efforts to advance the deal. He was in Uzbekistan on Tuesday and was expected in the Pakistani capital, Islamabad, later in the day or on Wednesday, and was also to travel to Doha, Qatar, where the Taliban maintain a political office.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, meets Ashraf Ghani at the presidential palace in Kabul, Afghanistan. EPA

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, right, and Afghanistan's National Security Adviser Hamdullah Mohib, arrives at the Presidential Palace in Kabul, Afghanistan. Afghan Presidential Palace via AP

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, meets Ashraf Ghani at the presidential palace in Kabul, Afghanistan. EPA

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, meets Ashraf Ghani at the presidential palace in Kabul, Afghanistan. AFP

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, meets Ashraf Ghani at the presidential palace in Kabul, Afghanistan. AP

Mr Khalilzad is also holding video conferences with Kabul leaders rather than travelling to the Afghan capital because of the dangers of Covid-19, according to a US State Department statement. Afghanistan’s dilapidated health system is grappling with the pandemic, with the number of infections thought to far outstrip the official tally of over 31,000 cases, including 733 deaths.

The implementation of the US-Taliban deal has reached a critical stage, with the Taliban and Kabul’s leaders expected to hold negotiations on a framework for a post-war Afghanistan that would end the fighting and bring the insurgents into the country’s political arena.

The talks are expected to begin sometime in July – if both sides abide by a promise laid out in the US-Taliban deal to release thousands of prisoners. The agreement calls for Kabul to release 5,000 imprisoned Taliban while the insurgents would release 1,000 government and military personnel they hold captive. But the prisoner releases have been marked by delays; Kabul has so far released 3,500 and the Taliban have freed about 700.

Mr Shaheen tweeted that Mr Pompeo and Mr Baradar discussed the “implementation of the agreement, foreign troop withdrawal, prisoner release, start of intra-Afghan dialogue and reduction in (military) operations.” The US State Department has not commented on the video conference.

Mr Baradar complained about new Afghan military checkpoints in areas under Taliban control while Mr Pompeo said Washington wanted to see a reduction in violence, according to the tweet.

A US official close to the peace process, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to discuss the matter with journalists, said Mr Pompeo emphasised in Monday night’s video call the imperative that the Taliban abide by their commitment to battle other militants operating in Afghanistan — specifically terror groups that could threaten the US or its allies, a reference that alludes to the Islamic State group.

The Taliban have denied the allegations that they were paid by Russia to kill Americans in Afghanistan. The Associated Press has reported that Russia began paying the bounties back in early 2019, even as Khalilzad was trying to finalise the deal with the insurgent group to end Washington’s longest war and withdraw US soldiers.

Violence in Afghanistan has continued to spike since a three-day cease-fire in May for a major Muslim holiday. As civilian casualties rise, both the Taliban and the government blame each other. On Monday, 23 civilians were killed in an attack on a busy market in the southern province of Helmand, a Taliban heartland.

In a tweet early on Tuesday, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid invited foreign and Afghan journalists to visit the area, which is controlled by the Taliban and has been off-limits to reporters, to independently check out claims about the attack.

The Afghan government said a powerful bomb and mortar fire by the Taliban caused the deaths.

Updated: June 30, 2020 01:32 PM

These were the details of the news Pompeo calls Taliban leader amid Russian bounty scandal for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Kim’s sister says ‘no need’ for another US-North Korea summit
NEXT Hong Kong to suspend all schools due to spike in coronavirus cases