Kenny replaces McCarthy as Ireland manager

Thank you for reading the news about Kenny replaces McCarthy as Ireland manager and now with the details

Aden - Yasmine El Tohamy - Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny celebrates after a UEFA Europa League Group Stage match. - Reuters file

The handover has been agreed with both men in light of the delay to the European Championship play-offs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the FAI said

Mick McCarthy's second stint as Ireland manager ended on Saturday as the country's football association (FAI) announced he was being immediately replaced by Stephen Kenny. 

Former Ireland defender McCarthy, 61, took over in November 2018 and was poised to lead them into last month's Euro 2020 qualifying playoffs before the coronavirus pandemic took hold. 

Ex-Dundalk manager Kenny was due to replace McCarthy after the Euros but with the playoffs delayed and the tournament put back a year the FAI have brought the transition forward.

"The Football Association of Ireland announces that Mick McCarthy is to be succeeded as national team manager by Stephen Kenny with immediate effect," a statement read. 

"The handover has been agreed with both men in light of the delay to the European Championship play-offs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic." 

McCarthy's contract was due to expire on July 31, after the Euro 2020 finals that have now been re-scheduled for 2021.

"This move allows Stephen Kenny time to plan for the European Championship play-off semifinal against Slovakia later in the year," the statement said. 

Kenny, 48, has been promoted from under-21s coach. 

McCarthy's last match in charge was a 1-1 draw with Denmark in Dublin in November, meaning they missed automatic qualification for the Euros.

These were the details of the news Kenny replaces McCarthy as Ireland manager for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Khaleej Times and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Frank de Boer may already have to deal with the first...
NEXT Valtteri Bottas on pole at Imola with Lewis Hamilton alongside