FC Dallas out of MLS restart due to coronavirus cases

FC Dallas out of MLS restart due to coronavirus cases
FC Dallas out of MLS restart due to coronavirus cases

Thank you for reading the news about FC Dallas out of MLS restart due to coronavirus cases and now with the details

Aden - Yasmine El Tohamy - FC Dallas will not compete in the Orlando-based MLS Is Back Tournament that is set to begin this week after a number of their players tested positive for COVID-19, Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber said on Monday.

Ten Dallas players and one member of the club's technical staff tested positive for the virus since the team's June 27 arrival at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex for the month-long World Cup-style tournament.

Dallas were scheduled to open the tournament on Thursday against the Vancouver Whitecaps but MLS said on Saturday that the game would be postponed as the Canadian side's departure for Orlando had been delayed after two inconclusive COVID-19 tests.

"Given the impact of the number of positive tests on the club's ability to train and play competitive matches, we have made the decision to withdraw FC Dallas from the MLS is Back Tournament," Garber told Reuters in a phone interview. "As of today we have tested 550 players that are already in Orlando and we had 13 positive tests and that is a very low percentage.

"Ten of those 13 are from one team so clearly we had to remove Dallas from the tournament."

The FC Dallas decision comes on the same day the number of confirmed U.S. coronavirus deaths exceeded 130,000, with Florida reporting another daily record of new cases with 11,000.

Despite the spike of positive cases in Florida, Garber insisted that players and staff will be safer in Orlando than other areas.

"We have a very strict medical protocol in place," he said.

Teams began arriving in Orlando last week and will all be housed in one hotel that will have no other guests.

Following the FC Dallas withdrawal the league added another level of safety protocols that will see staff at the hotel tested for COVID-19.

Garber would not say if MLS would cancel the entire event if another team was forced out of the tournament but noted player health and safety remained the number one concern.

"We have not said it will be X number of teams before we make any decision to change our plans," he said.

"But if anything should happen that we believe would threaten the health and safety of our players and staff then we will make the decision to not go forward with the tournament." (Reporting by Steve Keating in Toronto. Additional reporting Frank Pingue. Editing by Aurora Ellis and Richard Pullin)

These were the details of the news FC Dallas out of MLS restart due to coronavirus cases for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Khaleej Times and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Ruud van Nistelrooy and the 55 top scorers in Champions League history - in pictures
NEXT Egypt FA: Al Masry to undergo additional COVID-19 tests