Senior Iranian commander dies from coronavirus

Thank you for reading the news about Senior Iranian commander dies from coronavirus and now with the details


Aden - Yasmine El Tohamy - The news came as Foreign Minister Javad Zarif confirmed that confirmed cases of COVID-19 had exceeded 11,000, with at least 514 deaths.

The virus has spread significantly among Iran's officials and politicians, claiming a number of lives of senior government figures.

At least five other IRGC members have died from coronavirus, the forces' spokesman Ramezan Sharif said on Thursday.

In-depth: Coronavirus 'inching closer' to dual national political inmates at Iranian prison

Shabani previously hit headlines in 2018 after claiming that Iran instructed Yemen's Houthi militia to attack two Saudi oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz.

"We told the Yemenis to attack the two Saudi tankers, and they attacked," Shabani was quoted as saying in state media.


On Thursday, Iran's former foreign minister Ali Akbar Velayati was confirmed to have contracted the virus.

A close adviser of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, Velayati was also the director of Tehran's Masih Daneshvari hospital, where most of the city's coronavirus cases are being treated.

The outbreak in Iran is one of the deadliest outside China, where the disease originated.

Iran's sluggish response to the outbreak has been widely criticised, with a UN rights expert calling it “too little too late”.

Unnamed sources inside Iran's health system accused the government of covering up the spread when it first hit in February.

Satellite images of alleged mass graves in the city of Qom have heightened worries that the outbreak is still far more severe than authorities are admitting.

The government is now enacting emergency measures to deal with the spiralling outbreak, such as cancelling congregational prayers, restricting travel and releasing thousands of prisoners.

These were the details of the news Senior Iranian commander dies from coronavirus for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The New Arab and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Who’s Who: Nabil Khojah, secretary-general of the Economic Cities and Special Zones Authority