UK decides to resume sale of arms to Saudi Arabia

UK decides to resume sale of arms to Saudi Arabia
UK decides to resume sale of arms to Saudi Arabia

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details UK decides to resume sale of arms to Saudi Arabia in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - Saudi Gazette report

JEDDAH — The United Kingdom has decided to resume arms sales to Saudi Arabia, dismissing unfounded claims of their possible use in the war in Yemen.

Sales were suspended last year after a legal challenge by “politically-motivated” campaigners.

In a written statement to the British parliament on Tuesday, Secretary of State for International Trade Liz Truss said there is no “clear risk” that military equipment sold to Saudi Arabia might be used in serious human rights abuses and so the trade can resume.

According to the statement: "The undertaking that my predecessor gave to the Court — that we would not grant any new licenses for the export of arms or military equipment to Saudi Arabia for possible use in Yemen — falls away.

"As a result, Truss said, “the government will now begin the process of clearing the backlog of license applications for Saudi Arabia”.

According to a report in The Guardian, Britain is a major supplier of arms to Saudi Arabia. The leading arms maker, BAE Systems, sold arms worth 15 billion pounds ($18.8 billion) to the Kingdom over the last five years, principally supplying and maintaining Tornado and Typhoon aircraft.


These were the details of the news UK decides to resume sale of arms to Saudi Arabia for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Coronavirus forces Makkah women to abandon 70-year-long noble tradition