Mangi return puts question mark on police performance

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Mangi return puts question mark on police performance and now with details

Aden - Yasmin Abdel Azim - Islamabad: Karachi police have failed to resolve the mystery shrouding the kidnapping case of 20-year-old law student Dua Mangi and her sudden release a week later from alleged kidnappers.

The investigators are still waiting for the girl to return to a normal frame of mind and record her statement about the entire episode.

20-year-old Dua Mangi was kidnapped from Khyaban-e-Bukhari of Karachi Defence Housing Authority (DHA) area on November 30 by unidentified men.

She was passing by a road with her friend Haris Fateh Soomro when unidentified gunmen abducted her.

During the abduction, the kidnappers also shot and critically injured Haris. Later, an FIR was lodged by the Darakhshan police and a team was also constituted under the supervision of the DIG South, assisted by the Citizens-Police Liaison Committee to recover the girl from her kidnappers.

However, Dua Mangi, whose kidnapping a week ago had shocked the entire city, suddenly returned home, in the early hours of Saturday. It appears her kidnappers decided to release her in return for the ransom money.

However, according to her family, Dua Mangi is in a state of shock and trauma, therefore, cannot record her statement. The investigators are, meanwhile, waiting to record her statement.

So far, they have failed to make headway as to who was behind her kidnapping and how she managed to return home.

A parallel is being drawn between Dua Mangi and Bisma who was also kidnapped some six months ago in May this year from DHA Karachi and returned home after reportedly payment of ransom by her family to the kidnappers. In both cases whereabouts of the kidnappers are unknown.

Dua’s family members in the meanwhile have decided to keep mum refusing to share any information about the kidnapping.

Earlier, they denied reports about paying ransom money to kidnappers while police officials remained tight-lipped on the matter.

On Sunday, it was being reported that Dua Nisar Mangi’s kidnappers were involved in a shootout with police officers three days ago in which two policemen of the Aziz Bhatti police station were injured.

The suspects, who were wearing masks at the time, had opened fire on the police vehicle as soon as they saw it. Reports further said that the shells obtained from the encounter matched with those obtained from the gun of Mangi’s kidnappers that was used against her friend, Haris Soomro.

Earlier, DIG Police South Zone, Sjarkeel Kharal had said “It appears to be a case of kidnapping for ransom.” He had said that it had been ascertained through investigation that the student was kidnapped for ransom.

Meanwhile, members of civil society have also staged a protest at the city’s Teen Talwar roundabout condemning police inefficiency in the entire episode.

These were the details of the news Mangi return puts question mark on police performance for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Gulf News and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV COVID-19: India registers biggest single-day spike
NEXT 'Little Chef' charms Myanmar with cooking classes