UN ‘deeply concerned’ as thousands flee new onslaught in northwest Syria

UN ‘deeply concerned’ as thousands flee new onslaught in northwest Syria
UN ‘deeply concerned’ as thousands flee new onslaught in northwest Syria

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news UN ‘deeply concerned’ as thousands flee new onslaught in northwest Syria and now with details

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - The UN has expressed dismay as thousands of Syrians continue to flee northwest Syria in the face of a military escalation by the regime.

Since Thursday President Bashar Al Assad’s forces, supported by Russian airstrikes, have taken control of dozens of towns and villages in the province of Idlib.

The regime launched a fresh assault on areas of Idlib held by extremists in December in an effort to capture one of the largest urban centres in the opposition stronghold.

The fresh advances in Idlib came as Russian warplanes continued to pummel the province's south, fuelling an exodus of civilians, who fear further chaos.

A statement from UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres spokesman said he was “deeply concerned” about the escalation and called for an immediate cessation of hostilities.

“The Secretary-General is alarmed by the scale of the military operation and reported attacks on evacuation routes as civilians try to flee north to safety, the statement read, adding he “reminds all parties of their obligations to protect civilians and ensure freedom of movement.”

The recent military escalation has resulted in dozens of civilian casualties and the displacement of at least 80,000 civilians, including 30,000 in the last week alone.

Assad has vowed to recapture the Idlib region, the last significant area of Syria still under rebel control after almost nine years of civil war.

Mr Guterres’ statement came as Syrian government forces surrounded a Turkish observation post in the northwest province of Idlib on Monday after overrunning nearby areas.

"Regime forces have surrounded the Turkish observation post in Al-Surman after capturing several towns and villages, including Jarjanaz and Al-Surman" in the southeast of the province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights' Rami Abdel Rahman said.

At least eight people, including five children, were killed Tuesday in Russian air strikes on a school in northwest Syria sheltering displaced civilians, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

The strikes targeted the village of Jubass near the town of Saraqeb in southern Idlib province, killing civilians sheltering in and near a school.

A Turkish delegation was in Russia on Monday for talks on Syria, following the roports of thousands fleeing close to the Turkish border.

Turkey already hosts about 3.7 million Syrians - the world's biggest refugee population. President Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday it could not handle a new influx and was urging Russia to stop the strikes in Syria's northwestern Idlib province.

The Turkey-based Humanitarian Relief Foundation (IHH) said on Monday 120,000 Syrians were fleeing towards the Turkish border - higher than Erdogan's estimate of 80,000.

Russia and Iran have supported Assad's forces during the Syrian conflict while Turkey has backed Syrian rebels fighting Assad.

Russian and Syrian army jets have been targeting civilian convoys trying to flee the Idlib city of Maarat al-Numan, leaving hundreds of families still trapped there, activists and aid groups have said.

"It's a tragic situation for civilians remaining in the city since Russian jets are hitting any convoy that leaves the city, while those who were able to reach areas closer to the border have nowhere to shelter," said Mohamad Rasheed, an activist in the area.

Updated: December 24, 2019 02:03 PM

These were the details of the news UN ‘deeply concerned’ as thousands flee new onslaught in northwest Syria for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV The government will look at new measures shortly – VG
NEXT Strikes in the FGTS increase, and losses reach R $ 2...