Zelenskyy sees late 2026 to summer 2027 as key window for ending war

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Zelenskyy sees late 2026 to summer 2027 as key window for ending war in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - KYIV — Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Sunday that the most realistic window for diplomacy to bring Russia’s war against Ukraine to an end stretches from late 2026 through the summer of 2027, while acknowledging that major differences remain over the future of Donbas.

Advertisements

Speaking at a ceremony marking Ukraine’s National Flag Day in Kyiv, Zelenskyy said negotiations had entered what he viewed as a potentially decisive period.

“We believe that this is the most active stage at which diplomacy can lead to the end of the war. It’s the end of this year and the end of summer 2027,” Zelenskyy said.

He said the question of withdrawing Ukrainian forces from Donbas remained a major point of disagreement in efforts to reach a settlement.

Among the ceasefire options being discussed with the United States and European partners is a reciprocal withdrawal of forces and the establishment of a buffer “free economic zone” administered by a third party, Zelenskyy said.

Kyiv is also prepared to discuss a mutual halt to attacks on energy and agricultural infrastructure, he added.

Leaders from Nordic and Baltic countries attended Sunday’s events in Kyiv.

Zelenskyy said Ukraine faces a $27 billion shortfall in its defense budget, including between $8 billion and $10 billion needed in advance to cover requirements at the beginning of 2027.

Nearly $20 billion more is required for military salaries, payments to families of service members killed on the front lines and other defense-related expenses, he said.

Zelenskyy also said Ukraine had yet to reach mass production of domestically produced ballistic missiles because of technical challenges, with two companies currently working on the program.

“When there is mass production, then we will be able to deliver painful strikes against the enemy in response to their terror,” he said.

Ukraine is also exploring the possibility of jointly producing missiles for Patriot air defense systems with Raytheon, according to Zelenskyy.

He said the US company had held an initial technical meeting with Ukrainian officials, while Ukrainian defense company Fire Point had been selected as a project partner. An assessment of the project’s feasibility and potential timeline is expected within weeks.

Zelenskyy also announced that Ukraine expects deliveries of French air defense radars and a SAMP/T system this fall, while agreements for additional Aster 30 missiles are expected in September.

He said Kyiv had reached an agreement with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz for the delivery of 600 PAC-2 missiles for Patriot systems in 2027 and 2028.

Ukraine needs around 360 Patriot missiles for the winter period alone, Zelenskyy said, compared with annual global production of around 600.

On domestic politics, Zelenskyy rejected holding elections while the war continues, describing such a move as a “tsunami for the state” that risked dividing the country.

He also said Ukraine’s anti-corruption agencies should remain independent.

Addressing another aspect of Ukraine’s military operations, Zelenskyy confirmed that Kyiv has deliberately targeted warehouses belonging to Wildberries, Russia’s largest online retailer.

“Why do we hit Wildberries in particular? Because this is both the supply of military goods and a lot of money,” he said.

Zelenskyy also said SpaceX founder Elon Musk had rejected a Ukrainian request to use Starlink satellite communications over Russian territory for defense-related purposes.

He said, however, that Kyiv had recently received more encouraging signals from Musk’s team and was continuing discussions aimed at resolving the issue.

These were the details of the news Zelenskyy sees late 2026 to summer 2027 as key window for ending war for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Germany condemns Israeli settlement plans as threat to peace, calls far-right minister’s comments ‘unacceptable
NEXT Trump threatens to hit Iran ‘very hard’ amid reports of new strikes

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]