Pentagon sacks Stars and Stripes bosses after they claim editorial interference

Pentagon sacks Stars and Stripes bosses after they claim editorial interference
Pentagon sacks Stars and Stripes bosses after they claim editorial interference

Hello and welcome to the details of Pentagon sacks Stars and Stripes bosses after they claim editorial interference and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - The Pentagon’s sacking of the editor-in-chief and the publisher of US military paper ‘Stars and Stripes’ has put military press independence in the spotlight. — AFP pic

Advertisements

WASHINGTON, Aug 22 — The Pentagon on Friday fired the editor-in-chief and publisher of the Stars and Stripes newspaper, which has covered the US military since the Civil War, leadership at the publication told US media.

The publication’s editor-in-chief Erik Slavin told CBS News he was being fired for “insubordination” following an interview with the network where he spoke about disagreements with the Department of Defense.

The department stated earlier this year it was seeking to steer Stars and Stripes coverage away from “woke distractions.”

Max Lederer, who has served as the publication’s publisher since 2007 and had announced his retirement just three days prior, was also notified he was being terminated, according to CBS.

Stars and Stripes reporter Lara Korte said she too was sacked, posting on X: “Today, I was informed that the Department of Defense is firing me for insubordination after I told a CBS reporter that I work for Stars and Stripes — not the Pentagon, not any administration, and not any policy maker.”

The separation notices came just days after the newspaper, which is partially funded by the Department of Defense but has long maintained editorial independence, reported on grim conditions for crewmembers aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln.

The story provoked fresh criticism of President Donald ’s war against Iran.

The aircraft carrier had been deployed since before the Middle East war began in February.

Last weekend, the military announced a new carrier strike group arrived in the region, and Trump said the Lincoln would be swapped out.

Slavin made waves last month when he pushed back on editorial interference by the Pentagon.

Asked on “CBS Sunday Morning” if he had any red lines he would not cross, Slavin responded: “‘Don’t run a perfectly accurate story, run this instead. Here it is, written by the Pentagon.’ That would be a red line.”

Lederer, the publisher, announced his retirement from the paper Tuesday, to take effect September 30.

He chose to step down because he realised his philosophy of leadership and “understanding of the value and mission of Stars and Stripes” differed in “fundamental ways” from plans the Pentagon has for the organisation.

US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth has been severely critical of the media since taking the helm in 2025, and the independence of Stars and Stripes and other military media has come under threat.

Shortly before Lederer announced his resignation, active duty US Navy Captain William Urban was installed as military deputy to the publisher, a move interpreted by many, including Democratic lawmakers, as eroding the publication’s independence. — AFP

 

These were the details of the news Pentagon sacks Stars and Stripes bosses after they claim editorial interference for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Trump scores temporary win as US Supreme Court clears White House ballroom work
NEXT Trump threatens to hit Iran ‘very hard’ amid reports of new strikes

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]