ICC hits back after US announces fresh sanctions on senior court figures

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details ICC hits back after US announces fresh sanctions on senior court figures in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - THE HAGUE — The International Criminal Court on Wednesday slammed the latest US sanctions targeting senior ICC staff, including its president, as a “flagrant attack” on the global tribunal’s independence and vowed to continue seeking justice for atrocities around the world.

Advertisements

The State Department announced Tuesday that it had hit ICC President Tomoko Akane, a Japanese national, and ICC senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye, who is from Senegal, with sanctions that freeze any assets they have in US jurisdictions or come into contact with the US financial system.

The US had already imposed sanctions against several members of the court, including a number of judges.

The administration has now slapped sanctions on nine of the ICC’s 18 judges, both of its deputy prosecutors, its former chief prosecutor and one other prosecution office staffer, the court said.

The US accuses the court of overstepping its mandate by investigating and seeking to prosecute senior military and political officials from countries, such as Israel and the United States, that are not members of the court.

In a rare criticism of its US ‌ally, Japan on Wednesday described Washington's decision to impose sanctions on the ICC's Japanese president and a senior trial lawyer as "very unfortunate."

"Japan has consistently supported the ICC, which is a permanent international criminal court, in its efforts to prosecute and punish the most serious crimes of concern to the international community," Japan's foreign ministry said in a statement.

Japan, which relies heavily on US ‌military power ⁠for its defense, rarely criticizes Washington.

In a statement, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the US was sanctioning ICC President Akane as well as senior trial lawyer Seye, accusing them of "directly" engaging "in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction."

Rubio, who called the ICC a "corrupt and fatally politicized supranational court," added that it had "maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate," saying it had "repeatedly attempted to assert authority over nationals of the United States and other countries that have not consented to its jurisdiction or ratified the Rome Statute."

Washington has repeatedly accused the ICC of "politicized actions" and of "targeting Israel." The ICC issued an arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in November 2024 relating to the war in Gaza.

Responding to the US move, the court said in a statement: "When judicial actors are threatened for applying the law, it is the international legal order itself that is placed at risk."

In July, the State Department announced plans to embark on a campaign to bring down the court and "systematically disable" its "ability to operate."

It said actions it could take included increased sanctions and visa revocations, as well as travel bans on ICC personnel.

The ICC denounced the new sanctions, saying that they “undermine the rule of law.”

“The Court remains undeterred and stands firmly behind its personnel and behind victims of unimaginable atrocities,” it said. “The Court will continue to fully discharge its mandate with independence and impartiality, in full accordance with the Rome Statute and in the interest of victims of international crimes.”

The US has asked other countries to join the pressure campaign and has threatened “increased scrutiny” against those that do not.

Rubio said on Tuesday that he expects “more countries to join our campaign by ending their funding and participation in this politicized and unaccountable court.”

“The ICC’s ability to target American nationals and those of other non-States Parties must end,” he said, referencing countries that are not members of the court. “The Trump Administration stands ready to take additional measures, if necessary, to systematically dismantle the ICC until it is incapable of threatening American sovereignty.”

A US official said last month that countries “that partner with US law enforcement, host a US military presence, or benefit from the broader US security umbrella are being called upon to reject the ICC’s purported authority to prosecute American officials and servicemen.”

“We will watch with interest which nations join ranks with us against this threat to Americans who are willing to risk their lives to protect others,” they noted.

At least five of the court's 125 member states have announced plans to withdraw in recent months amid escalated US pressure.

The US-backed interim government in Venezuela announced in late July it will pull out of the ICC. The foreign minister said that, under instruction from acting President Delcy Rodriguez, Venezuela had informed the United Nations of its “firm and irrevocable decision” to withdraw from the court.

He argued in a post on X that the “Court’s actions reflect a demonstrated geographical bias” by focusing on African and Latin American countries.

The sanctions campaign has also put the US at odds with its European allies.

Dutch Foreign Minister Tom Berendsen said on X that the Netherlands, which ⁠hosts ​the court, opposed the latest US sanctions and he invited Akane to "discuss ​our continued support."

Akane warned in December that US sanctions could “rapidly undermine the court’s operations in all situations and cases and jeopardize its very existence.”

These were the details of the news ICC hits back after US announces fresh sanctions on senior court figures for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV ISS hosts first spacewalk by a Frenchwoman
NEXT Trump threatens to hit Iran ‘very hard’ amid reports of new strikes

Author Information

I am Jeff King and I’m passionate about business and finance news with over 4 years in the industry starting as a writer working my way up into senior positions. I am the driving force behind Al-KhaleejToday.NET with a vision to broaden the company’s readership throughout 2016. I am an editor and reporter of “Financial” category. Address: 383 576 Gladwell Street Longview, TX 75604, USA Phone: (+1) 903-247-0907 Email: [email protected]