China lowers death toll in Shanxi coal mine disaster to 82

China lowers death toll in Shanxi coal mine disaster to 82
China lowers death toll in Shanxi coal mine disaster to 82

Hello and welcome to the details of China lowers death toll in Shanxi coal mine disaster to 82 and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Rescuers work at the site following a gas explosion at Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, Shanxi province, China May 23, 2026. — cnsphoto via Reuters

Advertisements

BEIJING, May 24 —  The chaos in the aftermath of China’s worst mine disaster in 17 years ‌led to a revision in the death toll to 82 killed, local officials said at a press conference late yesterday. The people died in a gas explosion ‌at the Liushenyu coal mine in China’s northern province of Shanxi late on Friday. Initially state media reports said at least 90 people were killed. Even at the lower number, the incident remains China’s deadliest mining accident since 2009, when a gas explosion at the Xinxing Mine in Heilongjiang province killed 108 people.

Local officials said at the press conference the initial death toll from state media had been tallied in error.

“After the incident the scene was chaotic, the company’s count of the number ‌of workers was not clear, which led to the initial inaccurate ⁠number,” Guo Xiaofang, the head of ⁠Shanxi’s Qinyuan county, where the mine is located, ⁠said.

There were 247 workers on ⁠duty underground ⁠at the time of the explosion.

Two people remained unaccounted for, Guo said, while 128 were injured and hospitalised and 35 were uninjured.

The Liushenyu mine ⁠is owned by Shanxi Tongzhou Coal Coking Group and all four of its mines have been closed and company executives detained, local officials said at the news conference.

State-run newspaper the People’s Daily published an editorial on the accident on its front page this morning calling for greater attention ⁠to safety in production and to “completely reverse the tendency to prioritise development over safety.”

President Xi Jinping yesterday had called for ⁠authorities to “spare no effort” in treating the injured and conducting search and rescue operations, ⁠according ⁠to Xinhua. He also ordered an investigation into the incident.

The mine has a production capacity of 1.2 million tons of coal per year, officials said at the ‌press conference. China last year mined 4.83 billion tons of the fuel, which forms the backbone of its power sector. — Reuters

 

These were the details of the news China lowers death toll in Shanxi coal mine disaster to 82 for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Trump says Iran deal ‘largely negotiated’, dispute over strait reopening
NEXT Is Taiwan already independent? As Trump-Xi summit nears, here’s what ‘Taiwan independence’ really means

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]