Trump sending 5,000 troops to Poland, deepening confusion over US deployments to Europe

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details sending 5,000 troops to Poland, deepening confusion over US deployments to Europe in the following article


Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump declared on Thursday the United States would send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, an apparent reversal following recent moves by his administration to slash the number of US troops in Europe.

Advertisements

Writing on his Truth Social platform on Thursday, Trump said the decision was based on the US's relationship with Warsaw’s right-wing populist President Karol Nawrocki, whom he backed during presidential elections last year.

He did not give further details on whether the additional troops were part of the previous planned deployment or a different operation.

Nato Secretary General Mark Rutte welcomed the move ahead of a meeting of foreign ministers in Sweden, adding the trajectory toward Europe becoming less reliant on the US "will continue".

Trump's announcement comes one week after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth stopped the scheduled deployment of a combat team expected to rotate through Poland, a decision his department said was based on frustration with European nations who have “not stepped up when America needed them.”

It also follows an announcement by Trump earlier this month that he was pulling 5,000 troops from Germany, whose Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the United States was being “humiliated” in its war with Iran, angering Trump.

In contrast, Trump said the deployment to Poland, a key funnel for European aid to neighboring Ukraine, was based on his good relationship with President Nawrocki.

“Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump posted.

It is unclear where the 5,000 troops that Trump mentioned will come from or how it will change US troop numbers in Europe. The surprise announcement creates further uncertainty about the US posture in Europe, after Trump soured on NATO allies who spoke out against the Iran war or failed to provide what he sees as sufficient help.

Polish ministers seemed to indicate that the announcement would not substantially change troop numbers in Poland.

The country’s foreign minister, Radosław Sikorski, thanked Trump for his “announcement that the presence of American troops in Poland will be maintained more or less at previous levels.”

“All’s well that ends well,” he told reporters before a meeting of NATO’s foreign ministers in Sweden Friday.

Meanwhile, Polish Defense Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz said, according to Reuters, that Poland won’t lose any US troops. “One thing is certain, Poland is certainly not losing what it had – around 10,000 soldiers,” he told reporters.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio is also attending that NATO meeting, where he “will discuss the need for increased defense investment and greater burden sharing in the Alliance,” according to a department spokesperson.

Any troop movement is “not a punitive thing,” Rubio told reporters, “it’s just something that’s ongoing” as the US spreads its resources to meet its “global commitments.”

“Like any alliance, it has to be good for everyone who’s involved, it has to be a clear understanding of what the expectations are,” he said, adding that there was a space for NATO cooperation on the “defense industrial base.”

In 2023, the US established the US Army Garrison Poland, solidifying its military footprint in the country. The US typically has about 10,000 troops stationed in Poland.

Nawrocki thanked Trump in a post on X Thursday, calling the US-Poland alliance “a vital pillar of security for every Polish home and for all of Europe.”

“Good alliances are those based on cooperation, mutual respect, and a commitment to our shared security,” Nawrocki said.

Nawrocki was elected in June 2025 and visited the Oval Office for a meeting with Trump in September, where he thanked Trump for his endorsement.

Last week, Hegseth abruptly canceled two US military deployments to Europe and ordered the removal of other personnel from the continent, reducing the number of US troops in Europe by roughly 5,000.

The memo also canceled the future deployment to Germany of a battalion that specializes in firing long-range rockets and missiles, the defense officials said, and directed that a command in Europe overseeing those capabilities be removed from the continent.

The decision by the Pentagon to cancel scheduled troop deployments without consulting Congress prompted criticism by Republican lawmakers.

These were the details of the news Trump sending 5,000 troops to Poland, deepening confusion over US deployments to Europe for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV ‘We’re going to carry on’: Battered Gaza flotilla activists vow return after violent interception
NEXT Is Taiwan already independent? As Trump-Xi summit nears, here’s what ‘Taiwan independence’ really means

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]