WHO chief ‘deeply concerned’ by speed and scale of Ebola outbreak

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details WHO chief ‘deeply concerned’ by speed and scale of Ebola outbreak in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - GENEVA — The head of the World Health Organization said on Tuesday that he was “deeply concerned about the scale and speed” of the Ebola outbreak spreading in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, as the suspected death toll in Congo climbed to over 130 people.

Advertisements

Laboratory testing has now definitively linked 30 cases to the virus in Congo’s northeastern Ituri Province, where the outbreak was first identified, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of the WHO, said in an address to the 79th World Health Assembly.

Health ministers and diplomats are in Geneva for a week of negotiations on key topics such as pandemic preparedness, health financing and how to manage public health across borders to save lives.

The Assembly convened just one day after the WHO chief declared the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo a public health emergency of international concern {PHEIC}.

On Tuesday he said: “This is the first time a director general has declared a PHEIC before convening an emergency committee. I did not do this lightly … I’m deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic.”

The WHO will convene its emergency committee on Tuesday to advise what recommendations it should make on how to control the outbreak.

Tedros said the deaths of health care workers,high population mobility in the area and the absence of vaccines or therapeutics for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola behind the outbreak raised fears of further spread and deaths.

Tedros said reports of cases in urban areas, where the virus typically finds it easier to spread, were also cause for concern.

His comments came shortly after the country’s health minister, Dr. Samuel-Roger Kamba, said in a livestreamed news conference that 131 suspected deaths and 513 suspected cases had been linked to the outbreak.

The figures marked a sharp increase from Monday, when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said there had been reports of 88 suspected deaths and 336 cases, and 11 confirmed cases in Congo. Two cases had also been confirmed in neighboring Uganda, the CDC said.

These were the details of the news WHO chief ‘deeply concerned’ by speed and scale of Ebola outbreak for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Man kills parents, injures four others in Spain shooting
NEXT Is Taiwan already independent? As Trump-Xi summit nears, here’s what ‘Taiwan independence’ really means

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]