Hello and welcome to the details of WHO chief raises alarm over ‘scale and speed’ of Ebola outbreak and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - A poster displaying Ebola emergency contact numbers is pinned to a tent at the Busunga border crossing between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo in Bundibugyo on May 18, 2026. — AFP pic
GENEVA, May 19 — The World Health Organization chief said Tuesday he was “deeply concerned” by an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo which has spilt into Uganda, believed to have killed 131 people.
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Sunday declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC) – the second-highest level of alert under international health regulations.
“I did not do this lightly... I’m deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic,” he told the World Health Assembly in Geneva.
He added that he would convene the agency’s emergency committee later Tuesday “to advise us on temporary recommendations”.
The DRC’s health minister said the suspected toll from the outbreak declared late last week had risen to 131 deaths and 513 cases.
Tedros said that so far, 30 cases had been confirmed to be Ebola in the DRC’s northeastern Ituri province.
“Uganda has also informed WHO of two confirmed cases in the capital of Kampala, including one death among two individuals who travelled from DRC,” he told the WHO’s annual meeting of its decision-taking body.

World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus delivers a speech at the opening of the 79th World Health Organization assembly in Geneva on May 18, 2026. — AFP pic
In addition, he said, there was “one US citizen confirmed positive and transferred to Germany, as reported by the US”.
The total number of confirmed and suspected cases “will change as field operations are scaling up, including strengthening surveillance, contact tracing and laboratory testing”, Tedros stressed.
There were a number of reasons to worry, he said.
He pointed out that cases had been reported in urban areas, including Kampala, as well as the Congolese city of Goma, and also that there was “significant population movement in the area”.
“The province of Ituri is highly insecure,” he said, pointing out that intensifying conflict in recent months had seen more than 100,000 people newly displaced in the region.
He also said that deaths had been reported among health workers, “indicating healthcare-associated transmission”.
Tedros highlighted that the epidemic had been shown to be caused by the Bundibugyo strain, “a species of Ebola virus, for which there are no vaccines or therapeutics”. — AFP
These were the details of the news WHO chief raises alarm over ‘scale and speed’ of Ebola outbreak for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.



