Hong Kong unveils RM3.3b buy‑out plan for homes ruined in city’s deadliest blaze

Hong Kong unveils RM3.3b buy‑out plan for homes ruined in city’s deadliest blaze
Hong Kong unveils RM3.3b buy‑out plan for homes ruined in city’s deadliest blaze

Hello and welcome to the details of Hong Kong unveils RM3.3b buy‑out plan for homes ruined in city’s deadliest blaze and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - J Wong, son of Wong, a 71-year-old man whose image was captured during the deadly Wang Fuk Court fire in a widely published Reuters photograph, poses for a photo near the housing complex during an interview in Tai Po, Hong Kong November 30, 2025. Hong Kong authorities announced today a buy-out offer for owners who lost their homes in last year’s deadly housing complex fire, rather than rebuilding the charred apartment blocks as some residents had hoped for. — Reuters pic

Advertisements

HONG KONG, Feb 21 — Hong Kong authorities announced today a buy-out offer for owners who lost their homes in last year’s deadly housing complex fire, rather than rebuilding the charred apartment blocks as some residents had hoped for.

The blaze, the world’s deadliest residential building fire since 1980, killed 168 people and left thousands homeless in November at Wang Fuk Court, a high-rise apartment complex in northern Hong Kong.

Displaced residents have urged the government to come up with resettlement options, with some expressing hopes for the estate to be rebuilt.

Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong said Hong Kong authorities will spend up to HK$6.8 billion (RM3.3 billion) to acquire property titles from flat owners, either in cash or as part of a flat swap.

“The scale of the disaster is unprecedented, and currently there is no effective market mechanism to assist affected households,” Wong said at a press conference.

Just over 1,700 owners would receive an offer of between US$441,000 to US$650,000 (RM1.7 million to RM2.5 million), depending on their flat’s size.

Wong said the fire was a “special case of an exceptional nature” that warranted government intervention to avoid the flats becoming worthless.

Wong said it was “not appropriate” to rebuild the complex because it would take at least nine years and instead would be torn down to build a park or other community facilities on the site.

Seven of the estate’s eight towers suffered “irreversible” internal damage in the fire, while one building was left largely unscathed.

Only nine per cent of flat owners surveyed insisted on redevelopment on the same site as the only option, Wong added.

The buybacks will use an estimated US$510 million in taxpayer money, with the rest coming from a relief fund. — AFP

 

These were the details of the news Hong Kong unveils RM3.3b buy‑out plan for homes ruined in city’s deadliest blaze for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV World leaders call for secure AI — but offer few concrete commitments
NEXT Trump says Iran is negotiating with US as tensions escalate and warships move into region

Author Information

I am Jeff King and I’m passionate about business and finance news with over 4 years in the industry starting as a writer working my way up into senior positions. I am the driving force behind Al-KhaleejToday.NET with a vision to broaden the company’s readership throughout 2016. I am an editor and reporter of “Financial” category. Address: 383 576 Gladwell Street Longview, TX 75604, USA Phone: (+1) 903-247-0907 Email: [email protected]