We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Negotiators gather in Geneva for Russia-Ukraine peace talks as airstrikes continue in the following article
Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - GENEVA — Russian and Ukrainian negotiators gathered in Geneva on Tuesday for two days of US-brokered peace talks, a week before the fourth anniversary of Moscow's full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
The talks will focus on the main sticking point of land, with US President Donald Trump pressing Kyiv to act fast to reach a deal.
Ahead of the talks, Russia carried out heavy airstrikes overnight across swathes of Ukraine, inflicting severe damage on the power network in the southern port city of Odesa, which Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said left tens of thousands without heat and water.
Zelensky called for Kyiv's allies to increase pressure on Russia to reach a "real and just" peace deal via tougher sanctions and weapons supplies to Ukraine.
Trump pointed to Ukraine when asked by reporters what he was expecting from the talks in Geneva, which will follow a morning of negotiations between US and Iranian officials at a different venue in the Swiss lakeside city.
Expectations for a breakthrough remain low, as Moscow has not wavered from its maximalist demands for Ukrainian territory.
Russia's strikes on Ukraine are continuing on a nightly basis, further damaging the country's already battered power grid as subzero temperatures continue.
Hours before the delegations met in Switzerland, Moscow carried out a large combined aerial attack on Ukraine, hitting 12 regions with 400 drones and almost 30 missiles.
The latest attacks showed the "extent to which Russia disregards peace efforts", Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said.
Russia said its air defenses had repelled more than 150 drones, while an oil refinery caught on fire after a Ukrainian drone strike.
Tuesday's talks will be mediated by Steve Witkoff, President Trump's special envoy, and Jared Kushner, the president's son-in-law.
Related Article
Khamenei warns Trump as new round of US-Iran nuclear talks begin in Geneva
Ukraine will be represented by National Security Council secretary Rustem Umerov and President Volodymyr Zelensky's chief of staff, Kyrylo Budanov. The Russian delegation includes presidential aide Vladimir Medinsky and members of the military intelligence figures.
"I don't think we should expect any news today," said Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, adding the talks would continue on Wednesday.
Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, Donald Trump on Tuesday said Ukraine had "better come to the table fast."
The US president has previously signaled his impatience with the lack of swift progress in solving the four-year conflict.
Russia occupies roughly 20% of Ukraine, including parts of the eastern Donbas region. The Kremlin wants Ukraine to hand over large areas that territory, which Ukraine has ruled out.
For Kyiv, robust security guarantees from the West must come before any proposals with Russia can be agreed.
At least three energy workers were killed near the frontline city of Slovyansk in Monday's overnight attacks, Ukraine's deputy energy minister, Artem Nekrasov, announced on Telegram.
A further nine people, including children, were injured across the country, Zelensky said. More than 10 residential buildings and railway infrastructure damaged.
Ukraine is facing an acute energy crisis after months of relentless Russian attacks on its infrastructure and as it struggles through a freezing winter.
The latest discussions follow last month's trilateral talks in Abu Dhabi, which were the first three-way between Russia, Ukraine and the US since Moscow launched its full-scale invasion of its neighbour in 2022. — Agencies
These were the details of the news Negotiators gather in Geneva for Russia-Ukraine peace talks as airstrikes continue for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

