Questions raised over building standards as Thailand investigates Bangkok tower collapse after Myanmar quake

Questions raised over building standards as Thailand investigates Bangkok tower collapse after Myanmar quake
Questions raised over building standards as Thailand investigates Bangkok tower collapse after Myanmar quake

Hello and welcome to the details of Questions raised over building standards as Thailand investigates Bangkok tower collapse after Myanmar quake and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Authorities in Thailand are investigating possible factors that led to the devastating collapse of a Bangkok construction site, where dozens remained missing on Monday, three days after a massive earthquake centred in Myanmar. — AFP pic

BANGKOK, March 31 — Authorities in Thailand are investigating possible factors that led to the devastating collapse of a Bangkok construction site, where dozens remained missing on Monday, three days after a massive earthquake centred in Myanmar.

The planned skyscraper was to house government offices, but the shaking reduced the structure to a pile of rubble in seconds.

The collapse is the worst damage inflicted in Thailand by the 7.7-magnitude quake, which caused widespread destruction — and at least 1,700 deaths — in neighbouring Myanmar.

Numerous high-rise buildings elsewhere in Bangkok were left unscathed with limited reports of major damage, prompting questions as to why the one tower was destroyed.

Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt told reporters on Monday that only two buildings in the city remained inaccessible.

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra had expressed concerns on Saturday, questioning why the collapsed building was the only one in the capital to suffer major damage.

“I have questions in my mind,” she said. “What happened from the beginning since it was designed? How was this design approved? This was not the first building in the country.

“We have to investigate where the mistake happened.”

Paetongtarn ordered a probe into the incident involving a group of experts who she said would report back to her this week.

‘Something suspicious’

Critics have said that the steel bars used to link the building’s concrete structures may have been too thin, or not of sufficient quality.

Several steel rods were taken from the rubble for testing on Monday afternoon.

Industry minister Akanat Promphan said Sunday that six types of steel had been found, all from a single producer.

“The collapse of a building can come from several factors, from design, construction (and) material specification,” he said.

“Most important is the standard of the materials.”

Akanat said he had already “found something suspicious”, but that he would wait until testing had been completed before elaborating.

The confirmed death toll for Bangkok stood at 18 on Monday, with fears that the number could significantly rise as dozens remain missing under the building’s rubble.

Morning rain on Monday gave way to a hot, humid and overcast afternoon as responders worked to remove debris and locate any remaining survivors.

Meanwhile, concerns have also been raised about Thailand’s emergency response system, after a text message alert system experienced delays when Friday’s quake struck.

“Our problem is that the sending of messages was slow and did not cover enough people,” Paetongtarn said Saturday.

The prime minister has called a meeting for Monday with government departments responsible for sending the SMS alerts to the public, Thai media reported. — AFP

These were the details of the news Questions raised over building standards as Thailand investigates Bangkok tower collapse after Myanmar quake for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT US trading partners brace for Trump’s sweeping new tariffs

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: Debbienovak@al-khaleejtoday.net